Author Topic: Power Bay Doors will not unlock.  (Read 18164 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Power Bay Doors will not unlock.
« on: October 29, 2019, 01:55:26 AM »
I have power bay doors. In 7-1/2 years, I have only used the key fob to unlock the doors. In the past, using the lock function on the key fob locked the entry door, and all bay doors at the same time. I could use the fob to unlock all of the bay doors at once, even if the entry door was locked or unlocked.

Today, I went out to put something in a forward bay, and when I clicked on the fob, the only bay doors that unlocked were 1) the little door behind the rear curbside tires, just before the battery bay and 2) the door for the power cord reel on the other side. None of the other bays will unlock. I tried several scenarios, none worked. I don't hear the usual click on any of the doors that don't unlock, indicating the plunger is working. 

In the entire time we've had the coach, I've never used the keys. So, I tried them. The only keys I have other than the ignition, fuel doors, and engine compartment are Tri-Mark 225, Tri-Mark 853, and Tri-Mark 211. None of them will unlock the bay doors. I think the TM853 is for the front door. I think the TM211 is for our previous coach. I have no idea what the TM225 is for.

Does the door system have a fuse somewhere? I don't have a wiring schematic for my coach, and if I did, I have no idea how to read it. I'm thinking of taking the cover off the mechanism of one of the doors which is locked, but not latched at the moment, to see if it is getting current.

My key-less entry has never locked or unlocked bay doors. It still works for locking and unlocking the entry door.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Power Bay Doors will not unlock.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 03:34:24 AM »
Stan,
Check your battery voltage. Low voltage could make the individual locks react differently.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 04:11:12 AM »
Like Steve, I think this may be a voltage issue. I had a similar problem and for me it was the relay. I just swapped out another relay to test and that was the problem. In your case, you may be getting some voltage to the locks and for a few of them, it is enough to unlock but not others.
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson, Andrew Shoen

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 04:16:44 AM »
I'm plugged in to my house current, and the inverter charger shows my batteries on "float". I just recently checked the water in the house batteries and all were fine. Tomorrow, I will put a meter on the house batteries.

Chuck, when you say it was a relay, do you mean one of the re-settable breakers in the electrical bay? Or is there a relay somewhere else?
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 04:39:35 AM »
I'm plugged in to my house current, and the inverter charger shows my batteries on "float". I just recently checked the water in the house batteries and all were fine. Tomorrow, I will put a meter on the house batteries.

Chuck, when you say it was a relay, do you mean one of the re-settable breakers in the electrical bay? Or is there a relay somewhere else?

This is similar to my relays. They are in the electrical bay near the driver along the bottom of the bay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-CB1-12V-ACB13201-Electromechanical-Relay-4-Pin/113856739160?epid=668648373&hash=item1a8263f758:g:qZ4AAOSwTO5dV-57
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 08:01:13 AM »
The TM211 is bay doors on our similar coach.  Try it on one of the 2 open doors to see if the latch locks and unlocks.  Regardless of the electronics, the key should work to unlock the others if it’s the same # as ours.

How long since you put batteries in that fob?  And did you try the second fob (that comes with new vehicles), if the dealer or p.o. gave it to you?

If your coach bats are floating at 13.3+ volts, Chuck’s relay sounds like a plausible culprit causing too much resistance to allow the current necessary to work all 7 or more locks at once, or a loose ground connector.

Joel
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 08:06:34 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 11:04:10 AM »
If you look closely at the compartment door handle, where the key goes in, there is a number stamped on it which will match the number on the key. Mine is a TM211 too.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 04:34:57 PM »
For some reason, all the door lock actuators on my '05 PT 'overextended' and jammed, all at once. I couldn't open any compartment door. Luckly, the wet bay door was open at the time, so I pulled off the cover over the door latch to see what I was up against. Short story; Mechanic at BCS used a long screwdriver, routed up from the bottom, to unlock the doors. All door plungers were replaced, and all works now. Your keyless entry keypad, try your door unlock code to open, then quickly press 9 to unlock baggage doors. That's how ours works, anyway. Good luck, frustrating!!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 05:12:32 PM »
Stan,
K21 on the right side of the front elec bay activates the bay locks.
Steve
Steve

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 07:54:26 PM »
If you look closely at the compartment door handle, where the key goes in, there is a number stamped on it which will match the number on the key. Mine is a TM211 too.

Mike, here is a picture of one of my keys. TM211. It will not unlock the doors. In a couple of them, I got it to turn a little, but not enough to unlock.

Stan,
K21 on the right side of the front elec bay activates the bay locks.
Steve

Therein lies the quandary, Steve.  :(  K21 is behind a locked door that I can't open. So are my meters, tools, etc. in another bay.

Going to try Bill's suggestion next.

2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 08:36:29 PM »
Stan,
My memory might not be correct, but I seem to remember that the entry door key also unlocked the bays. Also, maybe it's only on the 07+ units but the bay and entry door key has teeth on both sides.
As Mike noted, doesn't any of your locks have a label etched into them?
Steve
Steve
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson, Andrew Shoen

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 08:57:46 PM »
Steve,
I don't have any keys, in either of my two sets, that have teeth on both sides. The bay door locks all have TM211 etched on the cylinder.

As for lack of voltage. Here are pictures of my Aladdin readings, and the Inverter/Charger remote readings, from a few minutes ago. I can't get in to the bay where my tool boxes are, so I'm unable to check voltage at the batteries. Going to have to make a run to the hardware store for a new meter.

Also, I tried Bill Lampkin's suggestion to punch in the entry door code, and then hit 9. Nada.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 09:43:59 PM »
Stan,
Voltage is OK. Have you tried turning the ignition on and then off? That will normally lock and unlock the bay doors without the FOB or key.
Steve
Steve

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 09:55:00 PM »
Stan, Once the actuators over extend, they jam the key cylinder so you can't turn the key. If jammed, the keypad or fob won't have any effect, as the actuators cannot retract to unlock. When I went to check K21 relay, the wires in the spade terminals pulled right out-now that adds another dimension to the whole mess. Had to put on new terminals and crimp. Relay was fine.  Tip: lock-unlock is via a pulse, not constant voltage. To open, one terminal on the actuator is (+) for a moment. To lock, the polarity changes to (-) on that wire. Tough to pin it on electrical. My guess is your problem is mechanical (jammed actuators).
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Stan Simpson

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 10:14:43 PM »
Stan, I keep most of my tools in the small bay behind the curbside wheels because, at least on my coach, that bay is not on the electric latch circuit.  I need to use a key only.  That is fortunate because a toolbox fits nicely in there along with other air and chassis service and road emergency equipment.  Even if the electrics are out of commission I can still get at my tools.  My voltmeter (and a few other commonly used tools for inside problems) is safe and dry stored in a living area drawer.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat