Author Topic: Power Bay Doors will not unlock.  (Read 18160 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Power Bay Doors will not unlock.
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2019, 10:12:06 PM »
Mike,
As Bill and I said, you have to get at the latches. Requires one lays down on back and using a flashlight in one hand for light and other hand on screwdriver to push the latch back and the pullout on the door slightly. No damage to the door will occur.
The problem may well be electrical but until the elec bay  door is open it can't be verified or troubleshot.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2019, 10:24:45 PM »
The long screwdriver is used to move the door latch, the white plastic thing that actually keeps the door closed.

Bill,
The wet bay door is open. However its locked. I can push on the white nylon/plastic latch and pull up on the door handle, and nothing happens. The door handle is locked. Do I need to do both sides at once?
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2019, 11:38:30 PM »
See if you can move the actuator plunger in by hand, that should unlock the door latch, handle, door striker and everything else (key should now work). You can see the latch is connected via the aluminum rods that go to each side of the door. They pull on the latch so you can open the door. The key lock and actuator plunger will rotate a little cam like plate that once rotated, will allow your door to unlock. The important thing is whether or not you can move that actuator plunger by hand (try a pair of channel lock pliers if you can't grip the plunger shaft). Once you move the plunger, you can see how the whole she-bang works. I removed the wet bay latch, handle and all, to figure it out. Lots of little parts that have to go together the same way that they fell out onto the dirt when you try to take the thing apart. Took some cogitating, but I got it down, finally.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson, Fred Brooks

Dan Murphy

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2019, 01:21:17 PM »
I have a double sided key that opens the bay doors and it is a Try-mark key marked KS-101

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2019, 03:25:09 AM »
Update: I have tried every suggestion listed above. The shaft on the plunger will not move. Looking at the mechanism, its easy to see how it works. I have a locksmith coming Monday to open the electrical bay door, and then I will check the K21 breaker. We'll see what happens.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2019, 02:31:38 PM »
Stan, For whatever reason, your door lock actuators overextended; That's what happened to mine. You can disconnect the actuator from the lock mechanism and then you can use the key to lock-unlock the bay door. The long screwdriver will work to get your doors open. Your best bet is to just replace all actuators with new, mine work fine now. No electrical problem was found. The mechanic at BCS said the new style actuators are much more reliable than the old shotgun style. I think the problem is in the linkage, the little bent nail gets out of whack and causes the actuator to jam.
We had BCS replace the keyless entry keypad, it never worked, now we just use the keypad to open and lock all doors. very convenient. 
525 hp C13

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2019, 02:40:50 PM »
Bill,
Could you point out on the picture that I posted of the mechanism, in this thread, what is the door actuator? Thank you.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2019, 02:54:46 PM »
In your photo, you label it 'plunger solenoid'. The white end with the (broken) dust boot is the part that is overextended. You can use a pair of wire cutters to cut the bent nail, then you can use the key to lock unlock.
525 hp C13

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2019, 07:11:25 PM »
In your photo, you label it 'plunger solenoid'. The white end with the (broken) dust boot is the part that is overextended. You can use a pair of wire cutters to cut the bent nail, then you can use the key to lock unlock.

Great! Thanks, Bill. One more question. If I change to the new style like you did, will the motor, actuator, solenoid, install in the same holes that exist now?
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2019, 08:05:33 PM »
Not Bill, but I can answer that. No, the holes don't line up. You have to fab a bracket.

When I bought the replacement lock actuators I was told the "new" replacement part was the Trimark (p/n 550-0100). So I bought two but they don't fit properly. I spent an hour or two making some brackets so I could mount them. But then I found that NWRV Supply has the direct replacements (the "gun" style). So I bought two of those (I will remove the Trimark ones when I get a chance and install the correct fitting ones). The ones from NWRVSupply are a direct fit (at least that's what I was told. I have not installed them yet). http://www.nwrvsupply.com/product/L19062-01.html

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 08:11:47 PM by Mike Shumack »

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2019, 09:00:18 PM »
Stan,  See the photo of how BCS installed the new actuators on my coach. The metal strap with the holes in it comes with the actuator, standard auto stereo stuff if you need to find it locally. The big thing about the installation is to make the linkage from the actuator plunger to the lock plate as trouble-free as possible. Minimize bends in the aluminum nail, and note in my photo the BCS mechanic secured the one-way washer on the lock plate with a small ty-wrap.
525 hp C13

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2019, 09:07:13 PM »
Thank you for that information, Mike. I put the picture from NWRV Supply's website next to the picture of mine, and they are an exact match. Mike, it appears they don't come with the plunger thingy. (nail or wire or whatever is used) I would have to fabricate my own?

I see your picture Bill, and understand.

The question I have: do I need to change these? Or do I find out when I finally get the doors open and test the circuit?
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2019, 09:13:37 PM »
I don't think, Stan, that your problem is electrical, although it could be. For some reason, the actuators just get overextended and then jam, that's why nothing will unlock. I don't know if yours will work again after they overextended and jammed, mine were no good. The new actuator comes with a new aluminum nail, but you have to bend it to fit your situation. Not difficult, but see in the photo I posted how straight the nail is once connected. I think that is the key (sorry!!) to a lock that works.
525 hp C13

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2019, 09:16:50 PM »
And Tri-Mark, the maker of the actuator, must have a reason why they dropped the shotgun style for the new style. The mechanic at BCS says the new style is much more reliable. Mine work great now, they make a louder 'clunk' when actuated.
525 hp C13

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2019, 11:13:08 PM »
Update:

The locksmith came today. We tried several methods to get at least one door open. We concentrated on the electrical bay door because we wanted to test the K21 breaker. I have read many times about the long handled screw driver being used to get the nylon latches pushed in so the door would open. We tried that first. On my coach there is no access for anything to push the latches in. So no on that idea. Next we tried to create some space between the door and the frame by pumping air in to a small bladder fitted in the crack. It produced some space, but all we could see was the striker, not the nylon latch that has to go in and out when the door is latched. So no on that idea. Then we tried un-bolting the panel that is directly next to the electrical bay door on one side and the street side front tire. It is hinged at the top. We were able to pull it our about 5 inches. We could see the back of the striker. No way to get to the latch. So no on that idea.

Finally, we drilled a hole in the door handle at the exact spot where the bolt on the inside fastens the mechanism to the door handle. That worked. We had to take the mechanism apart through the hole in the door used by the door latch, until we could get hold of the rods that move the nylon latches. The door finally came open. We tested the K21. It is fine. It was pretty sure it would be, because the power cord bay works fine, with the key and the power fob. It has a replacement actuator, and apparently is not jammed like the others.

I'm resigned to having to drill all of the remaining jammed doors to get them open, which means I will have to ruin every door latch. I'm searching for replacements now. I started with NW RV Supply in Eugene first.

Now I have another problem. We took the K21 breaker off the wall to check it for damage. The locksmith did it because I can't get down on my knees and get inside the back wall of that bay. There are 5 terminals on the breaker. There are two blue wires and three yellow wires and I don't know which one goes where. I tried hooking them back as I thought I remembered, but the actuator on the power cord bay just kept clicking on an off. There are markings on the wires, so I think he may have marked them, but they mean nothing to me. I will have him come back again. In the meantime, if someone with a 2005 Monterey or a K21 break for the bay locks could let me know how they should go, I would appreciate it.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad