Author Topic: Power Bay Doors will not unlock.  (Read 18161 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: Power Bay Doors will not unlock.
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2019, 12:34:16 AM »
Thank you, Steve for the K21 diagram. Mike Schumack, and Bill Lampkin, when I enter my entry code, the pad beeps each time I select a square, and it lights up. The code I use is one I set myself. And even before I did that, the only thing that happened, and still does is the entry door unlocks. Unless I push a wrong number, then after 3 seconds it beeps and re-sets. So if I do it right the next time, only the entry door unlocks. The PO also reset the entry code, so the hitting #9 doesn't work for me. There is nothing in the manual about how to reset the code, for the entry door AND the bay doors.

Since I pulled the K21 relay, the entry door still works with the code, but I get some different beeps now. I get little tiny beeps when it finishes that I never got before.

Edit: Thank you so much, Steve for that drawing of the K21. I had no idea there were numbers on the black housing for each of the 5 terminals. I finally found them with a bright light and a magnifying glass!!  :D K21 is now reinstalled in 20 degree wind chill! Thanks again!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 01:36:20 AM by Stan Simpson »
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2019, 03:02:07 AM »
Call the guys at Essex, very helpful. The beeps are diagnostic and they can help you figure it out.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2019, 01:51:47 PM »
The long screwdriver is used to move the door latch, the white plastic thing that actually keeps the door closed.

Bill do you have any idea of the path to take with this screw driver? My doors have a slanted edge at the bottom. I can't see, by lying on my back and looking up, any way to get a screwdriver to the door latches.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2019, 02:25:57 PM »
The code I use is one I set myself. And even before I did that, the only thing that happened, and still does is the entry door unlocks. Unless I push a wrong number, then after 3 seconds it beeps and re-sets. So if I do it right the next time, only the entry door unlocks.

The PO also reset the entry code, so the hitting #9 doesn't work for me. There is nothing in the manual about how to reset the code, for the entry door AND the bay doors.

The manual says once you enter the "main code" (your personal code) that only unlocks the entry door, then you need to press another number to unlock the Bay doors. On  my Coach it's the "0/9 key", but looks like it could also be the "3/4 key" or the "7/8 key" depending on how the system was wired. Try them all.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2019, 03:23:02 PM »
I don't know how BCS got in there with the screwdriver. My bay doors slant in at the bottom also. Did you say your wet bay door was open but locked? Perhaps you have unlocked it by now, I would try working on the wet bay door to see if I could figure it out. You only have to move the white plastic door catch a little bit in order for the door to open.
525 hp C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2019, 09:21:50 PM »
With reference to Mike’s last post, and to repeat my previous post, hold the 1/2 button on the keyless entry for 3 seconds immediately after entering the code.  Stan’s panel is the same as mine.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2019, 01:09:48 AM »
Update on the locked bay doors:

On November 4th a locksmith drilled one lock out (the electrical bay so I could test the K21 relay). I spent a week trying to figure out which wires go to which terminal on K21 because the locksmith removed them and didn't mark what went where. In the meantime, I ordered 10 new bay latches from NWRV in Eugene. They are black, but only 1/3 the price of the chrome ones that I have now. Last weekend, I took the coach 50 miles from home to the storage building another BAC member has, that is heated, as we have had early bitter cold and snow in late October and the first two weeks of November. The goal was to drill 4 more critical doors, as we have to leave for FL next Monday, and install the new latches. We only got 3 done. The new latches didn't come with any instruction, and they were packaged un-assembled. So, the first one took almost 4 hours..hahaha...trial and error, learning how the different pieces caused different reactions in the mechanism. We did the water bay (the one that was locked but not latched..can't travel like that) and the pass through bay (one side has the tubs of fresh water hoses, and sewer hoses and connections and the other side has our Brake Buddy and the tub with the connections and the power cord for towing). We didn't have to drill that side because I crawled through the bay and opened it from inside. We did the curbside bay next to the Hydro Hot, and it was accessible from the pass through bay as well. That bay has all of my tools and parts.

Today, it warmed up to 47 here, so I did two more doors. (the ones that come out with the slide..only had to drill one. I'm telling you, I can tell you how those things go together and how they work, blindfolded!! I don't have the HH door yet, or the little one back by the battery bay, but I can do those when we get to warm weather. It has been a great learning experience.

I would like to say thank you to all who posted help and suggestions for this problem. I bought all new actuators as well, but didn't install them yet. I don't want to be stuck without being able to open the doors. I will do them next spring when we get back home.

P.S. If you ever change them, don't lose that little spring!!
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2019, 11:02:27 AM »
Stan, did you find the root of the problem?

If you just replace all the door handles/latches and the power actuators - you could still end up with the same problem.

Since you can crawl through the pass-through bay and open the opposite door, you can take off the inside lock mechanism cover and see what is keeping the door latch from working.

Or maybe I just missed/forgot your explanation.

Was part of the problem that you don't have a physical key for the bay doors?
If you have a key you would be able to override the power lock actuator and open the door unless the actuator was jammed/frozen (but its unlikely all the door actuators jammed at the same time).

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2019, 05:55:56 PM »
Even after opening the door from the inside, the key does not work on the old mechanism; I had to change it. Yes, I have a key for the old locks (TM211, the same one that came with the new locks) and they don't work on the old mechanisms. They will go counter clockwise which is the "to lock" direction, but the key will not move clockwise, which is the "unlock" direction.

In my opinion, either all of the locks were jammed (used Lock Ese on all of them..nothing) or the actuators are, I don't know. I do know that the rear bay where my power cord reel and transfer switch is located, still operates as it should. That lock assembly and actuator was changed in 2017.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2019, 11:47:41 PM »
Mike, Stan,
Just guessing here but I suspect that the actuators received a high voltage spike that rendered them in-operable.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Elaine Sturm

• BAC Member
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2020, 02:51:14 PM »
Our old keypad has malfunctioned so we need to replace it. What is the model of the one you are showing with the diagrams?
2006 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2020, 03:47:13 PM »
Our Keypad is an Essex model 1701. You can find it here:

https://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=KE1701

I would call Essex, they are very helpful:  1-800-keyless

https://www.keyless.com/ke-1700/
525 hp C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2020, 11:16:55 PM »
Elaine, be aware that these pads are sensitive to water.  Ours would act up often when it rained, and always when I got wash water on it it would light up and lock and unlock the door. 

Beaver Coach replaced it, and after I complained of the water issue the tech super-sealed not only the pad to the wall but also the touchpad to its own escutcheon.  No problems since. 

Access I believe is through the wall behind the passenger’s console.

Before ordering a new expensive pad, check for an online manual and it’s troubleshooting section, and ring up Essex as Bill suggests.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat