Author Topic: C13 Dies at Idle  (Read 5478 times)

Robin Goffrier

C13 Dies at Idle
« on: July 22, 2019, 03:26:23 AM »
OK boys (and girls). New to me 06 Patriot Thunder with 51k miles on C13. Runs great, kinda. At low RPM engine has died 4 times. Usually as I approach stop sign, but not always. Turn off key untill tranny light goes out. Then restarts fine. Beaver Coach looked it over. Found nothing. Cat in Redmond did diagnostic. No codes, no issues. Said most likely a coach electrical isdue. Took coach on thousands miles trip. On return died twice again at low RPM. (Cat increased idle to 750)
Any thoughts?

Lee Welbanks

Re: C13 Dies at Idle
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 04:56:42 AM »
Robin,,In your rear run box one of the boards is the start run board, it has the switches on it so you can start from the back, my coach would just shut off for no reason Cat dumped the ecm no codes. The next time it dies don't turn off the key just stop if you can go to the rear open the run box and see if all the little led's are lite, if not on push and wiggle the board and see if everything lights up. If that board fails nothing in the box will light up. My board had a short in it somewhere, got a new board from Northwest Rv supply.
Mine would shut off going down the road, finally got bad enough that I figured out the problem.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Jim Nichols, Fred Brooks

Robin Goffrier

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 03:26:56 PM »
Follow up to C-13 engine dying problem. Engine would just stop, no codes, no obvious reasons. Beaver Coach have up so took to Cat in Redmond, Oregon. Eventually found rear ignition circuit board solder joint failure. Re solder and seems to have been the issue.  Just one tiny circular crack visible under a microscope. Thanks Cat. Board had previously been removed and sent to repair facility, who completely missed it. Was returned to me with nothing needing attention.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 05:31:22 PM »
I can't believe that BCS does not know about this problem with the start run boards in some 06 Patriot Thunders, Rob's is the third one that I know about with the same problem, mine was number 2 and I've heard about one other. Have to give M&M a call that they missed this one.
Glad that Rob is back in business again.