Visit our BAC Favorite Places Web Page

Author Topic: Is the (2002-2005) Roadmaster M-series chassis actually the SMC Magnum chassis?  (Read 457 times)

Mike Shumack

• BAC Member
  • Orlando, Florida
Steve made a comment in a post the other day about the 2004-2005 Patriot using the SMC Magnum chassis.

I initially thought that Monaco/Roadmaster built the "M-series" chassis specifically built for the 2002-2005 Patriots - at least it sounded that way in the brochures. But now I think that I was wrong and all Monaco did was put their name (Roadmaster M-series) on the SMC Magnum chassis.

It seems that when Monaco acquired SMC/Beaver in 2002 they just continued to build the Patriots using the SMC Magnum chassis (from the Harrisburg plant) until 2006 at which time they moved all production to the Coburg plant and started using the Roadmaster S-series chassis for the Patriots.

I wanted to verify this somehow, and then I noticed that on my (interior) vehicle Data sticker, it says manufactured in "Harrisburg OR" and "Magnum Div". Harrisburg is the headquarters for SMC and the location of the SMC Magnum chassis plant.

So my question to Patriot owners is: what does your Vehicle Data sticker say regarding location of manufacture? Does it say "Coburg"  or "Harrisburg"? The sticker should be on the wall just behind the drivers seat. If the 2006+ Patriots say "Coburg" and the 2002-2005 Patriots say "Harrisburg", that would help validate this theory. Or maybe someone knows for sure.

- Mike

'05 Beaver Patriot Thunder 525, Vicksburg, CAT C13, Allison 4000MH, HydraLift
Orlando, FL

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Mine says manufactured in Coburg by Magnum.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Mike Shumack

• BAC Member
  • Orlando, Florida
Okay - then I guess that ID tag is not going to answer the question...

- Mike

Orlando, FL

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Mike,
I believe our coaches are on Magnum chassis, but I would not swear to it.  It just seems that I remember being told this a long time ago when I first bought the coach.  That was Nov. 2004, so I wouldn't put much credence in my memory.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Mike Shumack

• BAC Member
  • Orlando, Florida
I've been working on a Beaver chassis info/history document (it's in Coach Assist section now). It's sort of a hobby/interest of mine - but I'm becoming obsessed with the 2002-2005 Patriot chassis details now.

The info/documentation I found from SMC said "all the Magnum chassis where 9" tall (which would include the C-series that the Patriot Thunder used), except the Magnum Blue Diamond (Marquis) chassis which is 10-1/4" tall, and the Roadmaster chassis document says the Roadmaster M-series frame is 10-1/4" tall. 

So that led me to believe that the Roadmaster M-series and SMC Magnum (C-series) chassis are not the same. Unless Monaco used the Magnum Blue Diamond (D-series) chassis for the 2004-2005 Patriot Thunders - or the published spec of 10-1/4" for the M-series is wrong.  I need to measure some.
Of course there's a lot of mistakes in the SMC and Monaco publications.

I suppose I need to go to one of the Beaver rallies and measure a couple of frames.
- Mike

Orlando, FL

Kevin Higgins

• BAC Member
Our 2006 beaver patriot thunder says Roadmaster DIV. Coburg, Oregon
Kevin                                                                             2006 Beaver Patriot thunder                                           42ft Vicksburg C13

Mike Shumack

• BAC Member
  • Orlando, Florida
I think the important info is the "Magnum Div" or "Roadmaster Div" on the ID tag and not the city listed.

In 2006 the Patriot Thunder starting using the Roadmaster S-series chassis (the top-of-line Roadmaster chassis) for the PT and Marquis. So "Roadmaster Div" would be expected.

According the documentation I have, all Beaver production moved from the "Beaver plant" in  Bend OR to the "Monaco" plant in Coburg in 2006.
- Mike

Orlando, FL

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Mike,
Regardless of the mfg location, the electrical wiring layout and basic chassis design is Magnum, IMHO. It would seem financially advantageous for Monaco to port an existing proven chassis to a new location and "tweak" it as needed rather than invest in a redesign until they were ready to make a significant change as they did in 07.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Our '05 PT MSRP sticker says Chassis: Magnum, Coburg Or, and under Standard Equipment, Roadmaster M series Chassis. I think ours was built early (Jan-Mar) 2005; 2005 model year.

Maybe there is still a chassis expert working at BCS with whom you could talk.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

Mike Shumack

• BAC Member
  • Orlando, Florida
Maybe there is still a chassis expert working at BCS with whom you could talk.

There may be some - but i'm not that obsessed (yet) to call on them.

I think there are BAC members who know the details but they just haven't been on the forum lately (or don't use the forum). It's really not that important... I'm just trying to document a little Beaver history while there are  still some people around that know/remember the details.

I was watching the Beaver history video by Mandy Canales & Bill Sprague https://vimeo.com/75646929 the other day, and it is discussed how SMC's fiberglass company (CTI) made the nose and side panels in Burns OR then trucked them (daily) to the Bend OR facility for coach assembly. That's a 130 miles one way!

So it's not inconceivable that SMC made the chassis in Harrisburg (Magnum facility) and then trucked the chassis to Bend (Beaver plant) - which is another 130 miles in the opposite direction.
- Mike

Orlando, FL

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
My 05 Patriot Thunder has two tags , one indicates "Harrisburg" Oregon,  and "Magnum division" . The other one indicates Coburg and Magnum so maybe mine was built during the transfer??
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

Mike Shumack

• BAC Member
  • Orlando, Florida
I think Coburg is (preprinted) on the Tag because it's a Monaco product and Coburg is the headquarters of Monaco. And Harrisburg (and Magnum Div) is on the other Tag because the chassis is made by the Magnum Chassis company in Harrisburg OR.

There's not a lot of info available on this period. From what I've read (and some BAC members have said) I think now the (2002-2005) Patriot chassis was made in the Magnum facility and then shipped to the Bend OR (Beaver) facility for final assembly. It appears this was the case from the start at Monaco's acquisition of SMC/Beaver in late 2001 up until 2005. Then in 2006 all the Beaver products were switched over to the Roadmaster chassis and produced in the Monaco facility in Coburg.

There's a lot of conflicting info too.
I have a chassis comparison chart from Monaco that says the 2002-2005 Roadmaster M-series frame is 10-1/4" inches high, but the SMC Magnum chassis info says the frame used for the Patriot  is 9" high. Only the Marquis frame (D-series "Blue Diamond") is 10-1/4" high.

So did Monaco use the "Blue Diamond" chassis for the Patriot for 2002-2005? Maybe the Monaco chassis comparison chart is wrong. Maybe they used both the C-series and D-series (to use up the existing chassis). That would be interesting.

I need to get a couple of these 2002- 2007 Patriots and Marquis together and compare chassis dimensions.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 12:03:58 AM by Mike Shumack »
- Mike

Orlando, FL

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Mike, I saw somewhere that the Patriot was a two axle coach until 2003.  The Marquis was the only Beaver tag axle until then.  That may be causing some of the confusion.  When Monaco switched to the tag for the Patriot they may have used the same chassis as the Marquis for the first time.  Just a thought.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Mike Shumack

• BAC Member
  • Orlando, Florida
That's a great point Jerry. That would make sense.

Then for 2003 - 2005 the Patriot Thunder (with Tag Axle) was built on the Magnum D-Series (Blue Diamond) chassis.

Next time your home, perhaps I can come by and get some frame measurements. If your theory is correct we should have the same frames (your 2003 and my 2005).
- Mike

Orlando, FL

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Mike, God willing and the creek don't rise, as they say, I will be home Friday.  Come over anytime.  I am still wondering if that brake/wheel is going to heat up again so I'll probably stop every few miles to check it initially.  See ya!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH