Author Topic: Batteries  (Read 7471 times)

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
Batteries
« on: November 01, 2019, 06:40:58 AM »
I have a 2006 Monterey.  Would like to switch house batteries to AGM any recommendations for brand. Are there any special things that have to be done when installing AGM batteries?
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Batteries
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 08:02:35 AM »
I researched the same notion a couple of months ago, and zeroed in on Interstates from one of their local corporate outlets, and the Batteries + Bulbs offering... either MagnaPower or Duracell, I don’t recall;  seems to vary by store.  I wrote down the pricing somewhere not handy at this moment, but AGM GC2’s are 2-3 times the cost of, say Costco’s Interstate wet cells.  I have yet to bite the bullet, but am still leaning toward the $95 wet cells.

Your inverter (Magnum?) needs to be adjusted, via the overdoorway remote panel, to AGM charging configuration.  Otherwise it will occasionally run an equalizing charge cycle meant for wet cells.  That’s unnecessary and (arguably) hard on AGM’s.

Joel

Addendum:  see our discussion here that includes the quotes I got,    http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,9278.msg63533.html#msg63533

Current Batteries+ deal after 10% discount, 190ah. ~$258.  https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sliagc2
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 08:34:22 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Andrew Shoen

George Harwell

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 02:24:30 PM »
Tom,

I switched to Lifeline GPL-4CT AGM in September 2010. Price was $1068 back then. Still going strong. I rarely dry dock so they don’t get much use, just sitting back there occupying space but I don’t have to spend time cleaning corrosion and servicing water. Just wash them occasionally. For $118 a Year I will do it again as I don’t enjoy working in the battery bay at age 76.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 02:43:20 PM »
My 06 Patriot Thunder came with Lifetime AGM batteries, I replace the chassic batteries two years ago with new Lifetime AGM starter batteries, free shipping and great price. Once installed you are done, no more cleaning no more acid to eat up all the metal, no more adding water, no more nothing.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 03:52:30 PM »
To stop corrosion, Marty taught me hose down the entire battery bay when you're washing the rig.  At first I thought that to be a bad idea because "there is electricity in there".  Apparently 12 volt DC doesn't mind getting a shower once in a while. 

For wet cell service, get a "Flow-Rite" system.  It is so easy and quick, you'll never put it off. 

Between hosing them down and easy Flow-Rite service, you'll never feel a need to spend the money for AGMs.
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 01:09:45 AM »
I just ordered (4) Crown 6CRV220 AGMs. $914 Delivered from high-tech battery. Made in the USA.
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold

Jeff Watt

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 05:34:49 PM »
I’m watching this thread with some interest as I have a bit of a dilemma. When I bought my coach in 2012 the large AGM 4D house batteries (4 of them) made by Lifeline, were ok but starting to show weakness. So in 2014 before going on a trip where I knew I needed to have good batteries at times, I replaced them with batteries sold by a local solar company. They are Chinese made, and although specs were good, I have 2 failing already. So I’m looking to replace them.

If I go back to Lifeline 4D AGM, prices are in the ~$700/each. Other manufactures maybe in the ~$550 range - a lot of $ for batteries which I hardly use/need. I do have a residential fridge, but the coach is always plugged in and/or the genset is used or the alternator keeps them ok while driving.

So I am thinking of changing them out and replacing them with 4 (or maybe more) 6v AGMs. I know there is some rewiring involved as the the big 4Ds are 12v but a group of 6v will give similar reserve and are more manageable and less costly.

If I went to batteries like Chuck ordered, I likely would be ok and for much less outlay.

I guess the point is the batteries I bought that looked good, have started to fail. Caveat emptor.  Interestingly I had changed out the Lifeline chassis batteries in 2013 and replaced them with a Cat equivalent AGM and they are still good.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 05:54:21 PM »
We all have a battery story or two; now if only lithium battery prices would fall to the realm of the masses......
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 07:49:38 PM »
   Jeff, 6- 6volt AGM would be excellent for your requirements. You would have to make some 2/0 cables to make 3 sets in series and then parallel the 12volt batteries together. A lot less than $2700.00 Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 01:15:40 AM »
We all have a battery story or two; now if only lithium battery prices would fall to the realm of the masses......

Yup.  But even if the price came down, the necessary inverter and solar charger modifications add substantially to the cost.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Grant Hayden

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 02:53:14 PM »
I currently have 4ea interstate golf cart 6Volt wet cell batteries in my 2006 beaver Monterey that need to be replaced. The lifeline GPL-4ct AGM look like a good replacement. But I am concerned about 2 areas; 1. are they the same size and weight of my current 6Volt Batteries ?, 2. My starter batteries are not AGM, will i  also have to switch them to  AGM? I assume the converter will also need to be reprogrammed. thanks Grant
2006 Monterey
C9 400hp

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 03:22:44 PM »
     Grant, they are the same dimensions. I would change the chassis batteries also because you have a mis-match when on shore power. I believe you have a "BIRD" system which latches onto the chassis batteries to keep them charged. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Jeff Watt

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 04:50:28 PM »
   Jeff, 6- 6volt AGM would be excellent for your requirements. You would have to make some 2/0 cables to make 3 sets in series and then parallel the 12volt batteries together. A lot less than $2700.00 Fred

Fred,

Thanks for the recommendation. I likely will do something like that when I get to Texas in January - seems prices (including shipping) and selection are much better than here in the frozen north. Also, there always seems to be some other person looking to help, I.e. something to do, in the park.

With the magnum inverter I shouldn’t have any problem. I may just have to adjust the amp hours it’s trying to charge depending upon the number of batteries I install. Lots of room and two 6v batteries are nearly identical in dimensions to one 4D.

Jeff
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 05:28:50 PM by Jeff Watt »

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 07:06:10 PM »
    Thanks Jeff, Glad to hear you have the Magnum Inverter/Charger. Nearly bullet-proof piece of equipment. Just a few changes in the "Set-up" menu and your smiling! Give me a call at 520-309-1260 if you have any questions. Blessings, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Grant Hayden

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 10:00:12 PM »
Jeff, Thanks, not sure what a bird system is ? but I believe I have a magnum converter and a solar panel system. Can you recommend a place where I can get the Batteries? There are a couple of Interstate Battery dealers near me.
thanks
Grant
2006 Monterey
C9 400hp