Author Topic: Cruise control-step light-Bay door open indicator  (Read 3868 times)

Richard Muha

Cruise control-step light-Bay door open indicator
« on: November 01, 2019, 03:55:17 PM »
1.The light on control panel came on, but it would not set.  2008 Marquis.

2.  The step is staying out about 1/2” and the step light is on.

3.  Dash indicated Bay Door open.  I checked all of them, opened and closed several time to no avail?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Cruise control-step light-Bay door open indicator
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 04:34:55 PM »
Richard,
1. The light on control panel came on, but it would not set.  2008 Marquis.
Not sure of your set up but if exhaust brake is on CC may not set. Also, speed must be about 30+ to engage.

2.  The step is staying out about 1/2” and the step light is on.
Step may need lube or something is jamming mechanism. Light is controlled by magnetic switch on step assy that senses when step is fully retracted.

3.  Dash indicated Bay Door open.  I checked all of them, opened and closed several time to no avail?
Guessing here; Your bay doors probably have magnetic switch sensors similar to the step sensor and one of them is  out of adjustment.
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Richard Muha

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 09:50:06 PM »
I’ll check for those sensors and look for any obstruction on the step, although I just sprayed a dry silicone on the tracks.

In regards to the CC, the exhaust brake was not on and I was going 60.  It worked just fine, stayed at campground for 3 weeks, left and it does not engage?  My cruise control is in smart steering wheel. 

Is their a fuse for that?  Not sure if my flasher to truckers passing worked either.  None acknowledged with flash back after they passed.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 10:30:27 PM »
   Rich, Have someone outside and check the headlight "blink" and marker lights "blink" with the engine running. Also check the wipers. If none of this stuff and the cruise is working, It is either the clock spring under the steering wheel or the issue is at the VIP steering wheel module. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 11:38:40 PM »
i had a problem with my cruise control too. In the SmartWheel troubleshooting manual one of the first tests was to unplug a connector at the Smartwheel control module and test for voltage. When I went to unplug the connector one of the wire pulled out of the connector. it was never crimped properly. i fixed the wire and that fixed the cruise control.

My advice would be to give each wire a gentle tug to be sure it is making connection.

I also found another poor crimp on another molex connector at my dash harness (but not related to this problem), so these bad/weak crimps are not uncommon.

Richard Muha

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 12:31:33 AM »
Thanks all!

Robin Goffrier

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 05:27:18 PM »
I also had Bay Door open warning light on dash. Checked all plunger type door switches. Its a simple ground switch. Checked each and isolated the specific door. Just a loose wire. I hate warning lights so i hunted it down. Very straight forward in my case. I did buy a replacement switch to keep in my parts box, just in case.

Richard Muha

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 10:35:42 PM »
Guess I’ll have to go hunting, because it’s still on (bay door).  As for the other items, we travelled from campground a to campground b and the cruise control worked.  I guess some days you just don’t wanna!  Step is giving me fits.  It has to do with opening and closing magnetic sensors on door frame.  Sometimes they act up and don’t want to close steps or open either.  On our coach it’s the small round white plastic cover.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 10:51:43 PM »
Rich,
The CC problem sure sounds like the clockspring in the smart wheel. They can get intermittent. As far as the bay doors, if Robin is correct and it is a gnd switch, you should be able to unplug the connector at the door (if there is one) and apply a gnd to each of the pins coming from the coach. The light should go out when you find the bad one.
Steve
Steve

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 12:50:35 AM »
Richard,
Finally had time to go thru the diagrams we have. We don't have an  08 Marquis set but the 07 Patriot set includes Marquis and there was very little difference between the 07 and 08 models. That said, the diagrams show a push type switch for sensing the bay door close/open. You should be able to find it somewhere around the door perimeter. It has a plastic plunger, usually white in color.
With all the doors closed, open one and manually push in the plunger while someone monitors the dash indicator. Do this with each door, keeping the others closed. If the indicator goes out, that switch is out of adjustment. Adjust it so it will close sooner.
If that doesn't ID the door, a switch may be faulty. Use the same one open door at a time process but now apply ground to the wire coming out of the end of the switch. (If the switch has 2 wires, just jumper them as one is ground and one is the signal to the light).  If the light goes out, you have a faulty switch.
Steve
Steve

Richard Muha

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 02:23:15 PM »
I will try this and hope it works to identify the culprit switch.  At least this is more of an annoyance and not a safety issue.  Thank you