Author Topic: U-Line, Replacing Ice Making unit  (Read 7236 times)

Wayne Tull

U-Line, Replacing Ice Making unit
« on: May 12, 2011, 03:55:51 AM »
I recently replaced the ice maker assembly  in my U-Line Ice maker (vintage 1994) and when doing a search on the subject here did not find anything about this so I'm posting this.  My Ice Maker was working, but the coating where the ice was made had broken down and was showing up in the ice.

I found several online sellers I could purchase the Ice making assembly from.

Shut power off to Ice Maker.
Remove lower front panel by removing one screw at the top of panel.
Remove garden hose connection (located at the lower right quadrant behind front panel) and remove connector from garden hose end (required to get water line out the back of unit).
Remove move four screws around the perimeter of Ice Maker.
The Unit can now be slid out for removal (the power cord will need to be unplugged and the water line pulled out the back before completely removing unit).

When ready to replace Ice Maker assembly remove the screws on the perimeter of the back cover.
Cut the five color coded wires near the top where they come out from the foam insulation.
facing Ice maker from open front door remove two screws located on left hand side above where the ice is made (works best to locate these screws by looking at there location on the replacement unit).
Now remove three screws on the bottom of the ice making unit.
OK, now comes the fun part. You should have received with your replacement unit a tube of alumilastic sealant. This is the material keeping the ice maker from coming out easily.  I used a putty knife to release the unit from sheet metal below it. Yes, I did bend the sheet metal up some in getting them separated, but it was fairly easy to straighten. When unit is separated from metal plate remove from cabinet (you may need to remove some sealant from around the wires you cut off in back of the cabinet going to the unit) and then scrap old material off of sheet metal. Straighten sheet metal when finished.

It would be helpful to place the new unit in first just to get a feel for whats coming next.

Follow directions with Ice Maker unit for applying alumilastic. I applied it to the bottom of the unit. Push wires through hole in back of cabinet and carefully place Ice maker just clearing the sheet metal to the back of the cabinet.  When you are unable to go back any farther allow the unit rest on the sheet metal and then finish pushing it the rest of the way back. Install the five screws you removed (I did experience some problem getting the screws located to the holes in the cabinet). Remove any excess alumilastic.

I used a canned foam insulation product to correct any damaged insulation and seal the area where the wires come out back of the cabinet.

Make suitable connections to the wiring.

Once foam insulation is cured trim any excess preventing the rear cover from fitting correctly.

Reinstall in RV.