Author Topic: Xantrex Failed Again / Options  (Read 6345 times)

Dave Porter

Xantrex Failed Again / Options
« on: May 11, 2011, 02:42:11 AM »
Greetings,
About a year ago, my Xantrex RS2000 (I think that's the model number) died and I ended up replacing it with another Xantrex (same model).  In the late fall, the Onan generator starting kicking off a 27 error code (PMA Sense issue) and upon taking it to a different local repair facility than handled the initial problem, they diagnosed and replaced the Onan control board.  The issue started as the Onan would run fine w/o the coach running but within a minute or two of the coach starting, the Onan would shut off with the above error code.  Similarly, if the coach was running and the Onan started with no load, the generator would also stop withing a couple of minutes with the above error code.  The only combination that would work was if you had a load on the generator (like running A/C) before starting the MH, everyone would happily co-exist with each other.  Anyway, after replacing the Onan control board, the problem still persisted so back to the "new" local repair facility.  I've seen a similar issue on another blog spot outlining the same type of issue so I'm not alone.  So this time the repair facility has diagnosed the problem as a defective Xantrex (again) as it is putting out "garbage" on the sense lines, the Onan "see's" that something else is supplying power and shuts down and, as a result, they suggest  I replace the Xantrex with a Magnum 2012.  The Xantrex should still be under warranty though I expect I'd get charged for its removal and re-install after it has been sent to a repair facility.  I've been reading that Xantrex doesn't have the best of reputations and am wondering if I should cut my losses, bite the bullet and install the Magnum.  So that's where y'all come in.  What do you think?  Is the Magnum a significantly better unit?  Or are there other choices?  By continuing to chase a Xantrex repair, am I just spending $'s on a bad solution?  Any "gotcha's" that I should be aware of?  Any other words of wisdom that you can share with a relative newbie?

Thanks is advance!

Dave
2005 Beaver Monterey

Keith Oliver

Re: Xantrex Failed Again / Options
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 09:17:40 AM »
have you tried asking Xantrex about this problem?  I called them ( about a problem with my echo charger) and the technical person actually knew something about the product.  
Toll-Free
(5:30am-5:00pm PST, Mon-Fri)                  1-800-670-0707

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 11:21:08 PM »
Dave,

You should be able to disable the Xantrex from inverting or charging. With that unit completely off do you still get the error code and shut down using the same conditions to induce the fail as before?

later Ed

Dave Porter

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 12:46:26 AM »
Greetings,

A previous discussion in another forum suggested the problem would cure by disabling the inverter which I tried and that wasn't the magic cure.  Frankly, I didn't attempt (or think of) just powering down the inverter.  The immediate problem, however, is the inverter has stopped working.  The good news is that it is still under warranty so unless there's evidence of something like a lightning strike, Xantrex should pick up the repair bill.  The bad news is that I'm responsible for de/re-installing the unit.  I guess I'm a little leary of fixing the Xantrex as it is only 15 months old (the original failed one month after we purchased the MH).  That said, fixing would certainly be cheaper than replacing.  I'm just wondering if this will become an annual event and if this is the approrpriate time to cut my losses.

Thanks all,

Dave

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 02:32:24 AM »
Dave,

Given the price of these things I would certainly see if the warranty would provide a second unit. Given the inverter is not working, I would assume that the charger is not working also. If the charger is working, turn it off, and re-run the test and see if you can reproduce the problem. If you still have the problem then you can repeat the test again with the Xantrex completely removed and see if that makes any difference. If I still had the problem with the Xantrex completly off then I would have my doubts if it is involved. If the problem persists with the Xantrex completly removed I would go back to Onan with your results.

If you conclude that it is related to the Xantrex in your test then you should try and understand where the sense line is that feeds the signal that provides the error code. I think it may be wired into the transfer switch but i am not sure. You can buy some ferrite absorbers and place them on the sense line. If higher frequency electrical noise is traveling on that line and confusing the Onan monitor circuitry, the ferrite cores will absorb them and possibly eliminate the problem. All of this is quite a grey area when you search for these ghosts..... The more you learn from experimenting, the clearer the source will become and the better you can convey the issue to tech support folks.

This is a good example of a ferrite that may help. You have seen these on computer monitor cables..

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=110-450&source=googleps

I would guess that there are some Onan engineering folks that have run into this issue and may have a solution. You need to find that experience base and get them involved.

later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 02:33:32 AM »
Dave,
There is no easy answer to your question. If you were paying full price for a new Xantrex inverter, I would definitely favor the Magnum inverter over the Xantrex because of added benefits like auto-start for the generator and a reputation of higher reliability.

However since you are not having to pay full price for a new inverter, there is no reason that I can justify advising you to trash an inoperative inverter that will be repaired free of charge if you pay for the installation labor.

The Magnum inverter has a better reputation, but there is no reason to assume that your Xantrex inverter will fail in an unreasonably short time. There are a lot of Xantrex inverters that have operated for years without any problems.

I have owner my Marquis for nearly 8 years as a fulltimer, and the Xantrex Prosine inverter has operated without a problem, but if it did fail and I had to pay full price for a new one, I would replace it with a Magnum pure sine wave inverter.  

Gerald

Mike.Way

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 04:07:02 AM »
The Xantrex in my '98 Marquis failed in 2009.  At that time I was told that repair was not an option; only replacement units. That bothered me.  I replaced it with a Magnum and haven't looked back.  Love being able to limit the charging current to 5 amps when at the house.

Mike