Author Topic: '00 Patriot Levelers  (Read 7108 times)

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
'00 Patriot Levelers
« on: May 12, 2011, 04:27:59 AM »
A friend has a 2000 Patriot with tripod hydraulic levelers. The rears are extending/retracting properly. The front extends properly but will not retract. The only way to retract it is to dump air and force it up with the weight of the coach. We then air up and add more boards. Repeat till its up.

The front leveler did not extend when driving. However, today my friend fueled and returned home. The leveler switch was in the 'off' position, ignition key off. He went to extend the slides and the front leveler extended untill the coach was front end high (above level) and the front wheels were off the ground. This does not make sense to me how it extended with the switch off.

Help anyone????? We leave tomorrow for Alaska.

ken Sair
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:14:40 AM by 14 »
BAC members since 2006

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: '00 Patriot Levelers
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 03:08:48 PM »
http://www.rvajacks.com/ RVA is probably the brand of Jack you have and they have great technical support.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 04:00:24 PM »
Ken,
The problem with the front jack not retracting is most probably a bent shaft in the jack which may have been caused by the control problem that you mentioned. If the jack extends unexpectedly and uncontrollably on an uneven surface, a bent jack can be the result.

The control problem could be caused by several different things, most likely a shorted control panel. Since I think that you are in California now, it will probably be cost and time effective to detour through Bend on the way through Oregon and have the leveling system repaired by Beaver Coach Sales before you head to Alaska.

If you try to repair the system yourself, your departure for Alaska will probably be delayed several weeks with trouble shooting and parts ordering. There is also a safety concern in working on the front jack without proper safety equipment. Just disable the system so that it can not activate unexpectedly until you can get the system repaired and only park in a level spot to protect the refrigerator.

If you do decide to use Beaver Coach Sales to repair the unit, it would a good idea to call ahead ahead for an appointment, as well as instructions on how to disable the system.

Gerald        

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 05:08:50 PM »
Thanks Gerald, my thought exactly. We are in fact going through Bend next Monday morning. Can you tell us how to disable the front leveler temporarily? It does not look bent but a shorted control panel would explain the unscheduled acctivation. Will call BCS shortly.

Richard, thanks for the website. Will call there also.

Ken Sair
BAC members since 2006

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 06:11:59 PM »
RVA is located in Escondido, CA if you are near there.  You may want to give them a call.  They replaced my front jack in a '98 Patriot several years ago.
Larry

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 04:31:17 AM »
Update. Turns out the problems was a stuck (open) valve in the solenoid.  Every time the slide was activated, in or out, the front leveler would fully extend. Then it would not retract.
The tech at BSC, Dave, found lots of crud, when he removed the solenoid. $67 for a new solenoid, and that problem was solved.

These guys are good!!'

Ken Sair
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:13:42 AM by 14 »
BAC members since 2006