Author Topic: Gen-turi necessary?  (Read 3222 times)

Lonne Mays

Gen-turi necessary?
« on: November 14, 2019, 02:20:29 PM »
Our Contessa has the genset's exhaust routed out the rear bumper's mudflap.  Do we still need to add a Gen-turi type set-up for dry-camping at rallys?

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Re: Gen-turi necessary?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 02:55:38 PM »
My opinion is sometimes we are parked back to back as well as side to side so the exhaust is facing your neighbor's bedroom and they may have or like to have their window open at night. Just thinking out loud.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 03:50:54 PM »
The Genturi (or self made equivalent) is not necessary for you.   It will certainly help you get along with your neighbors that are parked next to you!   I've never been to one, but there is a story that they are required at some race tracks because someone died of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Many of us on the planet, at our age, simply can't tolerate traces of diesel exhaust.   If you choose not to have a Genturi consider being very friendly with the person you are parked by and give them the option of asking you to move. 

One year at Quartzite we were parked next to some one with bad batteries and an out of tune Onan.  For the entire rally, all day and all night, we had to stay sealed shut.  Their rig left a 10 foot diameter soot print by our door. 

I had two Genturis for our Monterey.   Beaver somehow decided that the best place for the HydroHot exhaust was under the bedroom window.   I never set up without putting a Genturi on the HydroHot.   I did that for 12 years!

Consider that in many campground situations Hydro/AquaHot exhaust points directly to the patio of the next door neighbor on your driver side.  Besides keeping diesel exhaust out of our bedroom, the Genturi keeps it out of the neighbors picnic!

Lonne Mays

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 04:04:20 PM »
Thanks for the insight, Bill.  We don't have an aquahot, but I will get a genturi type setup for our genset.  We want to be good neighbors.  I'm also planning on adding a footlocker in the front basement area with about an additional 300 lbs. of batteries with a run of #6 AWG cable to the house batteries. 

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 04:08:53 PM »
"I'm also planning on adding a footlocker in the front basement area with about an additional 300 lbs. of batteries with a run of #6 AWG cable to the house batteries. "

That sounds like a solution to something that is not a problem!  Why are you doing that?   

Lonne Mays

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 04:26:44 PM »
I've calculated that the extra batteries will give me ~100Ah more usable storage, which should allow me to extend time between charging by an additional 5 hours. (Assuming keeping the discharge to less than 50%, and the average daily usage to less than 250W/hour.)

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 05:03:13 PM »
Lonne...We have a '90 Marquis with the gen exhaust out the back of the coach and never had a problem with diesel exhaust bothering anybody.  At Quartzsite there is plenty of room between coaches so one does not have to concern themselves with exhaust.  Those who have electric coaches have the automatic start gensets and the owners program them to not come one at night.  For several years I have been parking next to an electric coach, at Quartzsite, and had no problems as they only ran the genset a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours in the evening.  Just come and have fun! :)
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 08:16:11 PM »
I have a flexible hose like you would use on your dryer vent at home.  If I'm that close that I need it I will pull it out to whatever length I need and point it where I need it.  Works nice!!  When stored it's only about 24-30 inches long.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Lonne Mays

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 04:32:57 AM »
I think I'll use galvanized flex tube to extend the exhaust up to the roof by temporarily safety-wiring the tubing to the ladder.  Seems a simple and effective way to get the exhaust up past the roof line.  This very flexible steel tubing (see attached picture) will stand up to exhaust temperatures.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 04:41:52 PM »
Lonne,
Since you generator exhaust runs out the back, there are no Beaver dry camping rallies where a Genturi would be necessary since we do not park coaches back to back at our dry camping rallies with few exceptions, and there are many parking options at our dry camping rallies like Quartzsite. The coaches that benefit from a Genturi are the ones with a side generator exhaust outlet. However, if you go to some other dry camping rallies, especially at a crowded area like a race track, you may have a need.

With you battery plans, if you are not having a problem like running through the night with a residential refrigerator or a C-PAP, you will have very little benefit from increasing you battery bank. You will not decrease your generator run time, you will just have to run it longer but less often since you still have to replace the same amount of KWHs, and you inverter will only recharge the batteries at a preset rate.

Gerald

The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Bill Sprague

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 04:37:02 AM »
Lonnie,

The galvanized tubing strapped to the ladder would send the exhaust skyward.  It might look good too!

However it misses the point of the Genturi design.  The Genturi uses a venturi effect to suck cool air in with the exhaust at the bottom.   The tube never gets more than warm.   In other words, nobody gets burned if they grab it.   

Another bonus is the Genturi comes in three sections and with a bag.  You can store it without your other stuff getting dirty. 

Bill Sprague

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 05:00:56 AM »
Learned in my 16 years of BAC membership is to NEVER disagree with Gerald.  So I won't take issue with his writing of "there are no Beaver dry camping rallies where a Genturi would be necessary".   He is absolutely correct in that there are no exhaust stack requirements anywhere in the bylaws, rules or rally handbooks. 

On the other hand, all city buses, most Kenworths and most Peterbilts have the exhaust goes up a tall stack.  Up to where you are less likely to breath it. 

A lot of us (mostly men?) are immune to fumes from diesel, gas, outboard oil and cigars.  But there is a small, still significant, group of the population that have kept their noses out of exhaust pipes.  They like things like fresh desert air.  They even stay away from wood burning campfires!  They sniff flowers for fun!

Even though the generator is blowing carbon dioxide laced smoke out the back end near the ground and the breeze is blowing the right way when you have one of those great nose people next to you, it will mess up their day. 

When we arrive or depart, our engines only run for a few short minutes.  Our gensets need to run for a couple hours at a time.  It is more pleasant when the exhaust goes straight up.   
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Carr, Larry Azus

Lonne Mays

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 11:48:04 PM »
Hi Bill,
I want to be a good neighbor, so I'll run the genset exhaust up to the roof via the flexible exhaust pipe extension tubing, and hang a red warning sign on it saying "warning, hot exhaust pipe! do not touch!".  I'm not too concerned about the temperature, as I've touched the genset exhaust pipe where it exits through the rear mud flap, and it actually never seems to get more than just warm to the touch.