Author Topic: Removing the Onan genset for servicing: How does one do that?  (Read 1945 times)

Lonne Mays

Removing the Onan genset for servicing: How does one do that?
« on: November 15, 2019, 01:00:01 AM »
We have the Onan HDKAJ 7500W genset in our Contessa, and it is shoehorned into the rear basement bay cabinet in which it resides.  It is working fine, but some scheduled maintenance items like checking belt tension, inspecting hoses, etc., etc., cannot be done, I believe, without removing the genset from the motorhome.  Has anyone tackled removing the genset from the motorhome?  It weighs over 400 lbs., so I imagine I'll have to use jacks on wheels.  I have a shop crane (aka engine hoist), but there is no way to get access to the lifting eye of the of the genset; in fact, there is less than 1/4" of clearance between the top sheet metal shroud of the genset and the floor of the coach above it!  I feel stymied , and I'm guessing that the genset was set into the Magnum chassis before the coach body was built onto the chassis.  Anyone know how to pull the genset out? 

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Re: Removing the Onan genset for servicing: How does one do that?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 03:04:41 AM »
Never pulled one out from a rear compartment, as mine is on a front slide.  If it me I would consider a motorcycle jack placed beside it an then pull/slide it onto the jack.  By motorcycle jack I mean the kind with 2 flat arms that you can raise and lower with a foot pump that is on casters.  You will have to remove the bolts securing it before you can do anything of course.  I am sure that someone who has done this will chime in.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 03:55:49 AM »
Lonnie,
If I remember correctly, my shop put my 01 Contessa on a lift and dropped the geni out bottom with a small fork lift. Isn't there a brace across the front outside base of the bay? I considered removing it to get the geni out but was concerned that I couldn't get the required strength in the brace when re-installing.
Some members have been successful in accessing the rear of the geni to get at the belt, etc. with the geni in place. They say it's tight but can be done. However, to my knowledge these were owners of older Marquis, not Contessas.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jason Worman

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 05:57:01 AM »
Lonne,

Hi, I have a 1991 Contessa with the Onan in the rear compartment. About 7 months ago I took it to a RV/Truck shop here on the coast. It took three of us using two jacks about 2 hours to remove it. A complete rebuild was done. Putting it back was just as bad. It is not for the faint of heart; once removed the frame around the geni had been shaved off, lead mechanic said coach had been built around it. Our main problem was rear air bag frame would not allow us to tilt and dtop it out. Good Luck

Jason Worman

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 03:33:54 PM »
A Cummins Onan service center in Ocala, Fl. removed mine on a lift....raised the RV up and lowered the genset out the bottom. Mine is the same one you have and on a 2001 Contessa.

I had ours in for the 1000 hour service. After removing and taking it apart the tech found the armature and stator were in bad shape. Some of the glued on magnets had come loose damaging these two parts.

It ending up being a $2800 repair and service. The genset was still working as required prior to the findings.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl