Author Topic: Aqua Hot electric heating element upgrade?  (Read 3406 times)

John Compton

• BAC Member
Aqua Hot electric heating element upgrade?
« on: November 16, 2019, 12:02:44 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has upgraded their electric heating element from the 1650w to the 2000w?
I’m assuming it will physically fit in the boiler. Other factors I see coming into play would be the wire gauge, breaker amperage and possibly the 12v/120v relay. Has anybody done it?
2002 Patriot Thunder
C-12 Cat

George Harwell

Re: Aqua Hot electric heating element upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 02:16:47 PM »
John,
         I switched to a 2000 watt short element over 10 years ago. Have replaced it once during this time. The relay was changed last year so lasted over15 years. It provides better service as my hydro hot only contains 1 element.
The following users thanked this post: John Compton

William Jordan

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 03:53:50 PM »
I asked the tech when I had my aqua hot rebuilt and was told not to do it. Evidently aqua hots recommendation not to. I didn’t pursue it further. Interesting that  it’s been working just fine all those years. Maybe they were just over cautious ?
The following users thanked this post: John Compton

John Compton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 04:45:41 PM »
Thanks for the input. I think I’m going to do a load calculation to make sure the feed circuit wire is heavy enough and if it is I think I will give it a try.
2002 Patriot Thunder
C-12 Cat

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 01:54:55 PM »
I asked the tech when I had my aqua hot rebuilt and was told not to do it. Evidently aqua hots recommendation not to. I didn’t pursue it further. Interesting that  it’s been working just fine all those years. Maybe they were just over cautious ?
William, my Hydro Hot electric side stopped working last year.  When I opened the unit to see "what I could see", the inside of the elect junction box where the element is looked like there had been a fire in it.  most of the wires were crispy.  I mention because the wire sizes may not have been adequate for the currents involved.  I rebuilt using AWG 10 and 12 wire.  It works well now but after seeing the wires that were there I don't think I would be comfortable putting a higher current demand element in there.  Good luck.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 04:28:29 PM »
Jerry's cautionary tale of crispy wires in the j-box should be well considered. NEC says storage water heaters shall use wire sized to 125% of 'nameplate' current. Assume your 2000w element is 'nameplate', then: 2,000w / 120v = 16.66 amps current, x 125% = 20.83amps. 12 ga is rated 20 amps, 10 ga = 30a.

Maybe run the diesel when its time for a shower!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 05:00:41 PM »
The AquaHot unit in my coach has two 2000 watt elements, and each element is wired with 12 gauge wire on a dedicated circuit with a 20 amp breaker. The only thing that I do like about the way that it is wired is that I have to use the circuit breakers to turn the electric elements on and off if I am on a 30 amp shore power where I can only use one element or dry camping where I only want to use diesel.

Another option if you are going to rewire the electric element in you AquaHot unit is to change the element to a 4500 watt 240 volt element like the one used in the AquaHot 675, but it will not work on a 30 amp circuit. The AquaHot 675 uses two elements, one 120 volt 2000 watt element and one 240 volt 4500 watt element.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson