Author Topic: Diesel fuel filler neck on drivers side missing threads  (Read 7861 times)

Terry Whiteley

Diesel fuel filler neck on drivers side missing threads
« on: November 19, 2019, 01:57:54 AM »
2005 Beaver Huntington IV
Cat C9, 400 hp, Allison6 spd
4 slides
Mfd date 5/2005
Order # 111684
Chassis: Magnum although the tag says Roadmaster RM8
Toad: 2012 F150 with 2wheel drive with field modified driveshaft by Drive Shaft King-Dallas and Toad Braking System- by M&G Engineering - Athens Texas

The threads have disappeared from inside the fuel filter neck bowl thus making impossible to screw a cap back on. The threads are not jammed on the cap. I have searched high and low and can not find anything
 thanks Terry

Mike Shumack

Re: Diesel fuel filler neck on drivers side missing threads
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 02:50:15 PM »
Terry, is this coach new to you?
Just wondering if the threads were "never there" (a manufacturing defect) - I don't see how they could wear off as the fuel filler is such a low use item and even then only subject to hand tightening.

I believe your Monterey has fuel filling on both sides. If it does, how does the other side look?

Also, you said the "threads are inside the filler neck". On my coach the threads are on the outside of the filler neck (the fuel cap has the threads internal). Maybe I'm wrong on this - my memory is foggy on this now.

This is a real puzzle.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 02:57:33 PM by Mike Shumack »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 03:08:43 PM »
Terry,
The title of your post states fuel filler neck. The text refers to the fuel filter neck bowl. Is one a typo?
Thx, Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Terry Whiteley

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 03:21:58 PM »
I have owned the 38 ft Beaver for 3 years. My threads on both sides are inside where the cap screws into the “filler pipe”.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 03:26:21 PM »
I think Beaver changed the location of the fuel filler neck in 2006, to eliminate the foaming fuel spills. They put the filler down low, directly connected to the tank, like on a big rig fuel tank, If I remember correctly. If so, the cap would have inside threads (female) and the filler neck would have male threads.

When fueling my Beaver, I have to hold the nozzle open manually the whole time (20 minutes or more) or it will shut off due to foaming. Long fuel hose from filler neck to tank is to blame.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 03:28:40 PM »
I just came across Terry's thread in another forum. He is talking about the "Filler Neck".
Terry posted these photos - I hope it's okay for me to repost them here. The photos help to understand the problem.

There are replacement Filler Necks available - you just need to have the specs (length, pipe diameter, etc.)
such as https://www.fillernecksupply.com/2-universal-fuel-filler-neck-gas-engine/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8fH_zcv25QIVjJOzCh3xnAfhEAQYASABEgIh4PD_BwE

Terry Whiteley

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 03:54:05 PM »
Bingo... yes those pics are ok to use as shows my dilemma...that makes total sense I can see why Beaver changed it in 06...as I must stand there holding the diesel nozzle but it does foam & sometimes pops out of the hole ...I would wonder how to install a replacement filler neck/sleeve/bowl...
2005 Beaver Huntington IV
400 hp C9 caterpillar
F150 2wheel drive with Driveshaft Disconnect by Driveshaft King- Dallas Toad braking system - M and G Engineering Athens Texas

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 04:45:37 PM »
Terry,
From the pics it looks like the cap was sealed to the filler pipe with silicone or similar sealant and that the filler pipe was replaced by a PO and possibly was intended for a push style cap. https://carlisuspension.com/product/dodge/ram-1500/1500-components/billet-fuel-cap/ rather than a threaded one. In any case, I would think the filler pipe could be replaced by any competent truck repair or welding shop. It is not a DIY job IMHO.
Steve 
Steve

Terry Whiteley

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 07:00:32 PM »
The cap was Not sealed to the filler tube. The cap was free to unscrew and screw back in after filling.
I am having difficulty attaching pics to my threads and  have downsized the pics with no success.
For those of you who wish to assist me further please send me an email request and I will send an email with the pics which Cleary show the problem with the drivers side filler tube.

twz4@hotmail.com

Terry Whiteley
05 Beaver Monterey Huntington IV 38’
4 Slides
CAT 400 hp C9
F150 2wheel drive
with driveshaft disconnect and M & G Braking System
Owned for 3 years
East Texas

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 10:49:35 PM »
Could the threads still be attached to the cap?  Was the cap screwed on so tight that when it was unscrewed, the threads stuck to it? Just guessing....

On second thought, after reading your original post, I guess that did not happen.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 12:41:29 AM »
Roy,
IMHO I think you are on the right track. Threaded inserts are available for diesel fill pipes. See https://www.fillernecksupply.com/threaded-diesel-fuel-cap-neck-insert-for-commercial-truck-stop-pump-fill-pipe/?gclid=CjwKCAiAws7uBRAkEiwAMlbZjgtf4fIukwSjAkSypzFBBAEfkrRh_fhpEOVmrA3mnDoDCvV72yM1dxoCvR8QAvD_BwE
 Again, IMHO one can see the remnants of some sort of sealant on the edge of the fill pipe in the photos Mike posted. It seems possible that the sealant failed, allowing the insert to come out with the cap at some point. In any case, the good news is that it appears the inserts are available at low cost. Obviously the attachment medium is critical so the insert doesn't fail again.
Steve
Steve

Terry Whiteley

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 01:16:51 AM »
Thank you Steve and Ray what is IHMO stand for? It indeed would be ideal to find an insert/ or a bowl with inside threads.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 01:27:04 AM »
In My Humble Opinion
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Terry Whiteley

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 01:45:30 AM »
Awe shucks...That was easy

Terry Whiteley

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 02:34:17 PM »
Folks I got a response from Filter Neck Supply which looks like it will solve my problem ...thanks everyone for caring enough to respond

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/threaded-diesel-fuel-cap-neck-insert-for-commercial-truck-stop-pump-fill-pipe/

05 Beaver Monterey Huntington IV 38’
4 Slides
CAT 400 hp C9
F150 2wheel drive
with driveshaft disconnect and M & G Braking System
Owned for 3 years
East Texas