Author Topic: Air leak from one tank on 1998 Patriot  (Read 1936 times)

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Air leak from one tank on 1998 Patriot
« on: November 23, 2019, 12:21:29 AM »
I have a air leak on the tank that corresponds to the green needle on the air gauge.  The orange gauge seems to hold air for several days, but the green will leak out overnight.  Does anyone know what air accessories are supplied by the green gauge?
I have crawled around under the MH spraying the air line connections I could get to without taking to many things apart. 

So is there a way to narrow down where to look.  I think the air bags and air leveling valves are good since they are new and both needles dropped before replacing them.  So that leaves the air/hydraulic brakes.  I have sprayed the master cylinders, and the air lines under the brake pedal.  The last thing I can think of is the air cylinder for the stair slide out.   Anywhere else that I should look.   Thanks in advance.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Mike Shumack

Re: Air leak from one tank on 1998 Patriot
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 12:53:57 AM »
Generally the "Green needle" if for the primary air system (the rear brakes) and the Red needle would be the secondary system,  but there is no standard/requirement and manufactures can use any color they want. You can easily test this by opening the air drain on the primary and/or secondary air tanks and see how the gauges respond.

Usually there are several (non-brake components) feeding off the air tanks. The coach builders will tap into which ever tank is closest. There would be a "pressure protection valve" (PPV) at the tank where the line feeds from. The valve is supposed to shut when tank pressure drops to set level (like 65 psi) so any leaks in components (like the step slide-out covers, air horn, leveling system, etc.) wont drain the tank completely. But these protection valve will leak internally and allow the tank to drain.

Here's an example of a tank setup (may be correct for your '98) Note the PPV locations

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 01:48:53 AM »
Carl,
You can access the air line diagram for a 98 in Coach Assist, Owners Manuals/ 94-9* Manuals.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 01:52:19 AM »
Thanks Mike & Steve,   I now have a much better direction to go in.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126