Author Topic: Fresh water dump  (Read 5171 times)

David Stiles

Fresh water dump
« on: November 24, 2019, 02:46:55 AM »
On my 2005 Beaver monterey ventura IV 36 foot, I'm having trouble draining my fresh water tank. I just bought this RV with no instructions on how to dump the tank. I did locate the drain switch in the main compartment where the water valves are located along with the black and gray drain valves are. However when I push the rocker switch to drain the tank, nothing happens. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks Dave

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Fresh water dump
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 03:00:06 AM »
David,
The switch should apply 12v or gnd to the Valtera valve that opens to drain the tank. I'd check to see if the switch is OK and if there is 12v present. If OK then check if the signal is getting to the valve. It's located near the tank and there should be a removable panel in one of the storage bays that enables access.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 04:51:21 AM »
I often find that the rocker switch requires pressing and holding for a bit before the valve under the tank fully opens.  Ditto for closing it.

The translucent tank should be alongside the HydroHot in the forwardmost curbside bay.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 02:12:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum, David.

We have a 2005 Monterey, so our set up is the same. As you know, the fresh water tank is in the bay with the Hydro Hot, just behind the curb-side tire. That is where the drain is, of course, and the water drains straight down out of there. My switch to open and close that valve is electric and can be a little cantankerous at times. When I push it once to open it, I listen for the barely audible little click. And then I run around and look under the coach on the other side, to see if water is coming out. Sometimes I have to go push it again. Make sure your low point drains are closed.

Good luck.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 02:23:15 PM »
  I also echo what Stan just said. Unfortunately water sits in the opening of the needle and seat of the solenoid valve and tends to bind it up. Frequent exercise is the best remedy to keep it working properly. Its almost like us "if you don't use it you loose it! Atrophy sucks, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

jeffprupis

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 02:34:47 PM »
Check under the AH/HH unit. There is a 2" drain. Ours had a perpetual slow drip. After a number of attempts to fix the drip, I put a 2" plug (the kind w/ a wing nut to tighten it). When I (infrequently) need to drain the tank I just pull the plug and actuate the switch. Also there is a "Low Point" position on the water manifold in the wet bay.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 02:04:17 PM »
I would add some Vaseline to the valve when open it would help with the open and close operation.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

David Stiles

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 01:21:00 AM »
Thanks to all ( Jerry, Jeff, Fred, Stan, Joel, Steve) who answered with the problem of draining my fresh water tank. I will try these suggestions tomorrow. Thank you all very much again. David Stiles  BAC member since 11-10-19
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson, Fred Brooks

jeffprupis

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 02:11:32 PM »
As mentioned, check the drain. We had to install a plug (the kind with a wing nut) to stop a persistent small leak. When I need to drain the fresh tank, I remove the 2" plug. There are also low point drains on the bottom of the water manifold. FYI I have a PDF of the owners manual (and many other items in the coach). Send me your email and I'd be glad to send it to you.

David Stiles

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 03:24:56 AM »
Hello everyone, today I tried to dump the fresh water tank with no luck. Steve Huber suggested that I check for 12 volts at the valtera switch. Before I proceed to tear the panel apart so I can get to the back side of the switch so I can check for voltage, I just wanted to check with everyone to make sure this is the right procedure for removing the switch. Thanks again for everyone's help. David Stiles

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 06:22:10 PM »
David,
Before you tear into it, try spraying the switch with some contact cleaner and then operating it a few times. If you are going to check voltage & gnd it might be easier to access the dump valve and check for voltage/gnd there when the switch is pushed. As Stan noted,  there is a removable panel on bay adjacent to the fresh tank. I use a pin or voltage probe (with light led and sharp point) to pierce the wire insulation to check for voltage. The diagram for the Auto Drain shows a 0.5 amp slow blow fuse in the circuit between the battery and switch, but I don't know if where Monaco put it. As others have noted, it is possible that the Valterra valve has failed so accessing it now could save you work later. I'll email you the auto Drain info on the valve assy.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp