Author Topic: Loose RF Quarter Panel. How to tighten help.  (Read 2364 times)

Andrew Shoen

• BAC Member
Loose RF Quarter Panel. How to tighten help.
« on: November 24, 2019, 02:28:03 PM »
Hey Guys.

Well I made it back from BCS after spending almost a week there. Lots of work was accomplished (everything on my list) and I also bought an extended service contract from Shu. Much better deal than Wholesale Warranties!! Glad I checked after one of you suggested I speak with Shu. Any of you have CoachNet? That is something I am also considering for $199/yr.

OK... so I thought I asked them to tighten up this loose and rattling quarter panel on the passenger side just behind the right front wheel. The leading edge on the bottom is loose and can move inward with light pressure about an inch. I have looked to see where there might be a loose or missing bolt but I can't see anything. I thought I mentioned it to the techs and thought they addressed it. They either did and I forgot they did and it worked it's way loose, or they forget to address it. Be that as it may, have any of you had this same issue? I thought about stuffing some weather stripping to keep it from being able to move but I know there is a better solution out there.

Thanks.
2006 Beaver Monterey Pacifica
C9

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Re: Loose RF Quarter Panel. How to tighten help.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 03:07:33 PM »
Fender or panel is secured on the horizontal edge using a 1/4" or 5/16" self taping screw. You could look at the other fenders or panels and see those screws. Over time we have had to replace all with a larger self tap. And on some we have had to secure the L bracket that is used to secure the panel.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9
The following users thanked this post: Andrew Shoen

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 03:32:01 PM »
Many of us have Coach-net.  It covers more than AAA and when purchased in a long-term package it’s cheaper.  Like Good Sam and the new FMCA offering and others, it includes technical assistance over the phone in case you can fix an issue yourself and avoid a tow.  I can’t recall our last resubscription, but I think it was for 5 years for less than $400, but don’t quote me... I just know it was better than any others, and we used it successfully once in 2007 with good phone/tech advice and have stuck with it.  Our ins. agency, Overland, used to offer it at a discount with policies, but they’ve switched to another towing contractor.

Your service receipt from BCS should detail both your complaints to the advisor and the work actually done.  Check it to confirm whether your panel concern was actually noted.  If they addressed the panel as requested but not satisfactorily, call and ask their advice.  The one non-bay panel I ever had to lift and swing up out of the way had 2 sheet metal screws along the bottom edge.  Yours may be missing one.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Andrew Shoen

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 04:25:39 PM »
Thanks for the help and no, it was not listed as a repair so I guess I will handle it. I did look at other panels, but I didn't see where there was any hardware missing.
2006 Beaver Monterey Pacifica
C9

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 04:26:03 PM »
I had the same quarter panel come loose, Andrew. Used the Jim Nichols system, and all was good. Once in a while I find one that has fallen out or come loose again. Not hard to fix. I keep a box of self tappers of different sizes in my parts tub.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad
The following users thanked this post: Andrew Shoen