Author Topic: Silver Leaf  (Read 2103 times)

Grant Hayden

• BAC Member
Silver Leaf
« on: November 24, 2019, 05:12:11 PM »
I have an appointment at Master Tech in elkhart to have my Alladdin system upgraded to Silver leaf system. Is there anything I need to know or be aware of? What system or model to get? They indicated that the basic conversion is $4,700.00. I also need to have the valves adjusted in my C9 which has never been done, not sure if they can do this ? or perhaps a local CAT dealer in Elkhart My local dealer is not real receptive to working on motorhomes.
thanks
Grant
2006 Monterey
C9 400hp

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Silver Leaf
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 08:49:46 PM »
   Grant, Reluctant diesel shops are notorious for trashing the inside of your gorgeous motorhome. They will have good access if YOU remove all related closet floors and or bedroom flooring and put down plastic sheeting drop clothes to cover stuff grease could get on. Dave Atherton could give you more detail on the depth of the Valve adjustment. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 05:03:26 AM »
Grant, question on valve adjustment on your Cat C-9 engine. Before you spend money look at technical section Ask Dave, it very clearly spells out the correct operation about Caterpillar view
point on how and when your engine overhead needs to be looked at. It also clearly is spelled
out checking of valve lash and the clearance allowance of .003 plus or minus on both intake and exhaust valves.  Word of caution on install of any aftermarket add such as silver leaf into the
Caterpillar Test Data port. Do not install this yourself, have silver leaf make the correct plug in for
there equipment because if something is wired incorrect and you plug into Caterpillar Data port
You will short out your Engine ECM. Always remember this data test port all wires feeding the engine ECM are not fused this happened last year to fellow beaver member. Dave Atherton Retired Cat
Mechanic

Grant Hayden

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 10:08:38 AM »
Dave, Thanks. Master tech is doing the install of the Silver leaf. I am not sure they have a CAT certified mechanic to do the valve adjustment. But will check to make sure before I authorize the adjustment. If not I will wait and try to find a CAT shop willing to do the work. The recommendation to prepare the bedroom area in advance is an excellent idea and hopefully will make the work less painful for both me and the CAT mechanic. Do you have any other recommendations on any other work to have the CAT mechanic do while I have it in the shop? I currently have no issues with the operation of my C9.
Thanks
Grant
2006 Monterey
C9 400hp

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 01:27:38 PM »
Grant, valve adjustment. Posted on Ask Dave technical section it suggest have valve lash checked around 50,000 miles. Valve lash meaning if a feeler gage will slide in between valve and rocker arm
and fall within the spec’s. Set forth 003 plus /minus for both intake and exhaust valves no adjustment
Is needed. Than next valve lash check at 150,000 miles than at 300,000 miles. Note: with the
electronic engine basic there is no adjustment needed. This information is off Caterpillar SIS
Technical Service. Depending where you have service work preformed I would suggest doing your
 Homework before you do anything review Caterpillar technical Information off CAT SIS.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat mechanic