Author Topic: Dometic refrigator life expectancy  (Read 3629 times)

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Dometic refrigator life expectancy
« on: November 28, 2019, 02:49:44 AM »
I have a 8 CF dometic refrigerator that seems to be working fine.  Freezer gets to the 0 degree range, and Fridge is down to about 36 degrees in 65ish degree weather in about 6 hours time.  I plan to put in a ARC? system and the fans in back as well as inside.  This should improve the performance even more, but?  How long will this 21 year old refrigerator last?  Not really looking for residential right now, but would a 12 volt compressor conversion be a better idea if I only have a couple of years left.  I actually like the propane/electric option.  Just not sure how long they live.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
Re: Dometic refrigator life expectancy
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 03:47:15 AM »
Wow!...21 years old! Those are some great temps for a fridge that old! The ARP (Absorption Refrigeration Protective Control) is a great safety feature. I think you probably have mire than a few years left on that fridge but when it goes, the compressor conversion or an Amish cooling unit would be a good option.
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold
The following users thanked this post: Carl Boger

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 07:38:14 AM »
The only reason I replaced the Dometic 8cf cooling unit early-on on our old ‘85 Pace Arrow was my new-owner ignorance.  Never let the coach sit very much off-level for more than 20 mins., service the burner annually, keep things clean and inspected in the back, and Dometics just keep going.  I did add a small solar fan in the back that helped in extreme summers. 

The 12v boiler heater on the unit wasn’t much to praise and was lucky to maintain temp much less cool it down, but it’s 110v and gas options worked great. These days they don’t even put 12v cooling unit heaters on high-end RV fridges that I know of. Ours was 21+ years old when we traded for the Monterey in ‘06. 

Fortunately a Dometic 14cf was in the new Beav and not a Norcold, and it can tolerate a little more level variations than older models.  But having been burned decades ago for a new $800 cooling unit, I’m still careful about keeping the fridge off in situations where I park on a slight slope for what I think is a brief sorte’ into a store or somewhere... it may not be as brief as I initially think.  Some have enough faith in today’s fridge/freezer insulation that they travel with the gas and fridge off altogether.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

jeffprupis

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 02:31:48 PM »
We installed JC Refer's 110v HVAC in Aug. Very happy (-2º/36º). Draws <1amp. https://jc-refrigeration.com

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 03:02:15 PM »
  Hi Carl, Life expectancy of absorption refrigerators 10 to 15 years. Here are some of my concerns. The cooling unit is self- contained and has Hydrogen and Ammonia as the main ingredients. The cooling unit has many welds to assemble the enclosed unit. When in transit, the refer automatically goes the "gas mode" as we are all aware. If the cooling unit fails at or near the location of the burner, you have a high pressure blow torch aimed at something. The refer is reasonable safe if this occurs as the burner has a metal enclosure built around it, how ever it is only 18 gage sheet metal. Unfortunately we have all heard of coaches burning down. Because of the caustic nature of ammonia circulating around the inside of an enclosed unit we have no idea where the weakness of a failure may happen.
   Absorption refers have many benefits and are ideal for RV's. I would be cautious trusting older units. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

George H. Wall

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 06:46:33 PM »
I installed the Amish unit, which is more sturdy and reliable in my opinion, 10 plus years ago, without a single problem since!!
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 09:12:59 PM »
The age, or perceived age of the fridge is what concerns me.  It works fine, is not that dirty or worn out looking but it still may well be the original.  The ARP unit is not that expensive, but  I would hate to put it in just to have the cooling unit spring a leak a short time later.  The compressors are tempting but I have not priced them yet.  The refrigerator itself is a good size for us, it has cleaned up well inside, I don't need a ice maker inside the fridge and the wood panels match the other cabinets.  For these reasons I don't see us going to  a different residential refrigerator.  I will have to look it over more closely before I decide which way to go.   Thanks for everyone's input. 
Carl

330 hp Cat 3126

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 11:36:08 PM »
    Carl. What is the model nunber of the refer? Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 12:34:00 AM »
Carl,
You refrigerator is probably running on borrowed time, but I have seen them run well over 25 years, and I have seen replacement Amish cooling units that failed 3 months after the warranty expired. So, for me I would not replace it as long as it is operating to your satisfaction.

If you try to replace everything that might fail on one f these coaches before it fails, you will go broke unless you have Warren Buffet's bank account.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 01:49:42 AM »
Fred, Its a Dometic Royale RM3862,

Gerald, I understand exactly what you are saying.  I am already fixing things that are not broken just because I would rather repair them here then on the road " IF " they brake.  I guess I need to price all my options first, then see if there is an obvious answer.
Carl

330 hp Cat 3126

Jason Worman

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 07:06:27 AM »
Hi all,

This has been an interesting read today. On our 1991 Contessa I believe we have a Dometic Royale 3804 model.
By all accounts ours appears to be the original refrigerator as well, the parts are listed as made in Sweden. Not knowing much of the maintenance history, I am concerned about the state of our unit. It runs perfectly in all three modes. What kind of cleaning or upkeep can a novice do? From the outside panel looking up with flashlight, what should I be looking for? I think from now on when driving, I will shut the fridge down. I don't like the idea of a blowtorch running with propane going. Thank you.

Jason Worman

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2019, 12:58:05 PM »
   Carl,The 3862 is the original Dometic that came with the coach or a replacement from 20 years ago. Here is the quick overview on the maintenance. Remove the sheet metal cover around the burner assembly. Using compressed air, blow out all the rust that has fallen down from the flue on to the burner. Blow out the flue above to remove loose scale. Remove the orifice attached to the burner and carefully clean the opening. Remove the roof vent lid and blow out all the dust that has accumulated on the top condenser and then the coils below. Note: years of dust act like a blanket insulating the coils that are trying to dissipate heat. If you are not comfortable doing this, seek a certified tech that is older than your refer, BTW the owners manual is still available on the internet for download. Blessings, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 01:23:45 PM »
    Just re-read my post, NOT trying to be rude, just my twisted humor when you get old! Sorry, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2019, 02:48:44 PM »
Thanks Fred,
I have already done all of the above cleaning items.  Like I said, it works great, flame looks great, electric works even better.  Mine is also made in Sweden.  I have sent a email to JC Refrigeration to see how much it would be to retrofit what I have.  I see either that conversion or a APR in my future.
Carl

330 hp Cat 3126

jeffprupis

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2019, 04:00:51 PM »
JR at JC Refer is great to deal with. We installed their 120v HVAC unit in August. All in it was under $1,100. Plus we installed a dedicated inverter to just power the Refer when boondocking (additional $300). Extended warranty paid for all. They also have dual fuel options in the same price range. But ours runs on inverter power 24/7. You will not be disappointed.