Author Topic: C9 Regulator / Thermostats change out  (Read 2226 times)

Rayan Poothamby

C9 Regulator / Thermostats change out
« on: December 04, 2019, 05:20:00 PM »
Looking for guidance/ procedure on how to change regulators on a C9. I have looked everywhere and having a difficult time finding instructions to complete this task. I have a 2005 Beaver Patriot. I will be picking up the regulator at a CAT store today with gaskets. Any help will be appreciated.

Mike Shumack

Re: C9 Regulator / Thermostats change out
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 08:44:33 PM »
All the CAT engines (except the C13) use two thermostats (CAT calls them "Regulators").
Changing them is pretty easy. Just drain the coolant to below the Regulator Housing level and remove the radiator house and the bolts holding the top of the housing on. There is a seal inside the housing (should come with the Regulator).

Rayan Poothamby

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 09:31:39 PM »
Mike,
 Thank you so very much. Love that sketch you threw in there. Where did you find that? Do you happen to have a link to that so I could use as a reference while performing other maintenance work. This is my first attempt doing this and that diagram going to help me locate the thermostat. Is there a drain cock on the rad to remove a gallon or two.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 09:39:04 PM »
Sure. Go To "CAT Parts Store" site https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp

Register (your name, e-mail, and such) then use the "SIS" link at the top to scan for parts diagrams and lists.

You just have to know your engine Prefix (serial) number to get the correct parts listing.  I used the prefix SRB for a CAT C9 engine (I 'm not sure what your is) just to pull up a drawing as an example.

Yes, there will be a drain cock on the radiator or lower radiator hose (the metal tube part if you have that).

Rayan Poothamby

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 09:43:08 PM »
Thank you so much.