Author Topic: Hard to stay in my lane!  (Read 4594 times)

David Stiles

Hard to stay in my lane!
« on: December 05, 2019, 05:55:08 AM »
Hello, I have a 2005 36' Ventura II Monterey that I just purchased . I'm having trouble keeping it in the lane driving down the highway. The people from where I purchased my motor home told me that all RV's drive this way. So with the stupid answer that they gave me I just figured I would have to solve by myself.  I had the RV aligned but it changed nothing. I've seen videos on a product called Safe-T-Steer. Does anyone think that this might solve my problem?
Thanks, David Stiles

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Hard to stay in my lane!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 12:57:44 PM »
David
Welcome to the Beaver family and the forum.  I am sure that there will be better answers here than mine shortly.
1) Not all alignments are equal.  I have had many shops tell me there is no need to check the drive axle etc.  Beaver Coach sales in Bend Or. will tell you a good alignment takes everything into account.  Try to get a report from that shop.
2) Yes on the saf t steer.  Driving is much less work and helps to control in the event of a blow out.  No it wont correct all of your problem.
3) Where the pitman arm attaches to the steering gear box is a mounting collar.  Ours was scary loose and it wandered as you describe.   We had just bee to an alignment shop and it was missed.

Congrats on the new rig.  Lots to learn but worth the time.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

jeffprupis

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 02:00:18 PM »
We have the same coach. Safe-T-Plus made a world of difference. If near Grants Pass OR, Henderson's is the place to go. In FL Josams in Orlando does good work. Hendersons offers a service wear they take your coach out for a ride and provide a report on what they thinks is needed (RPA). Worth it. Love our VII

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 03:07:50 PM »
Please don't ignore it. That is NOT HOW ALL motor homes drive. Your previous alignment should have had a person inside moving the steering wheel 2"-4" left to right while another person is under the coach checking all the linkage. We also have Safe-T-Steer on our coach. Henderson's in Grants Pass Oregon do install S-T-Plus and they do test drive plus the 2 person linkage test before alignment.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 04:01:52 PM by Gerald Farris »
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9
The following users thanked this post: Rick and Laura Stephens

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 04:06:49 PM »
All good advice above. You can try to Google 'Monaco Watts' for a solution to your wandering problem. The guy has found certain Monaco coaches exhibit 'tail wagging the dog' symptoms which can be corrected by adding a 'watts link' and cross bars to the suspension. Once all mechanical issues are resolved, you may find that, like me, you are making constant corrections with the steering wheel and just need to stop overcorrecting when steering. Its a lot of coach for a new owner and things look very different out that big windshield compared to a car.
Good luck!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 06:35:38 AM »
As others here note, if you can get to Grants Pass (as weather permits) you won’t regret a Henderson’s Line-up Road Performance Assessment.  They are family-owned, honest, and arguably the best chassis people in the country.  Check the info and video(s) on their website:   https://www.hendersonslineup.com/   .

I had a Safe-t-Plus on my gas coach and don’t know why I waited 9 years to have Robert put one on Monty Rae.  They added their own Super Steer brand “Motion Control Units”, Koni shocks, and judiciously tweaked the adjustable steering during the follow up road test.  The coach, which except for having 4 slideouts is essentially the same as yours, now handles and rides like I’d expect it (or a Cadillac) to.  Yes, it was a substantial expense, but a worthwhile upgrade.

There is still the very slightest, almost unnoticeable vibration on some roads, but Henderson’s test tech considered it unconcerning.  It could be a slightly off balance weight on a wheel.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 01:29:32 PM »
If you just happen to be in the southeast around Atlanta, you can purchase the Safe-T-plus from the factory and they will install it free. Mine works very well.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 01:45:38 PM »
I have a Tag axle so I don't see the same issues you guys with single rear axles experience, but I did find that the tire air pressure makes a huge difference in handling. Too much air (running max pressures) in the tires makes my front end wander more.

Also the weight on the front axle makes a difference. The more weight the better (while not exceeding the axle and tire ratings). I can put more weight on the front by adjusting my Tag axle air pressure. You could shift cargo around in you storage bays as needed.

The first thing you should do is get the coach "weighed". Get a "four corner weighing" (each tire/axle weight reported individually) then set the tire air pressure according to the weight.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 09:09:04 PM »
Though the Safe-T-Plus (not “Safe-T-Steer”) provides some basic lane control, it is purchased mostly for its incident control (eg tire blowout, passing truck, etc.) abilities.  It sounds, David, as though your issue may be deeper than what Safe-T-Plus alone could eliminate.  Keep in mind that just an alignment, or one done by a shop not well experienced in motorhome chassis, apparently didn’t resolve what could be a failing, unusually worn critical component.

For everyone’s safety’s sake, members here might be able to suggest an appropriate facility if you supplied your current location (Riverside?), so as to limit your highway time until the situation is successfully addressed.

Joel
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 09:15:06 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 11:28:47 PM »
David if you can get the rig to Grants Pass you could have Henderson Line Up look it over they would do the best job for you, If a safe steer is recommended they would be able to supply and install. Over the years many member have made the trip to Henderson. I also know that on the shorter rigs you may have a light front end that will cause you unit to bounce this may result in over steering. The factory would add weight to the front of the APU this would help but you will find it will also cause over weight on the front axles, no fix for that problem. Henderson will know of these problems.
We have seen many problems with the shorter rigs and members may have more info. I never had an issue on the 06 PT with the tag.

Good luck
Jerry   
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13