Author Topic: New Floor  (Read 11057 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
New Floor
« on: August 16, 2014, 01:42:02 AM »
Finally finished the floor replacement. The coach has cherry cabinetry with dark wood panels and the blue carpet that came with the unit made the interior too dark for our liking. The tile had some cracks and was not too appealing so I considered replacing both until I realized the tile was installed under the kitchen cabinets and would be almost impossible to remove without removing the slide itself. I got some aggressive grout cleaner and restored the grout to its original cream color. Cracked tiles were repaired with bone colored caulk. Looks good now.

We considered a number of flooring options, laminate, hardwood, and vinyl, decided on hardwood for a couple reasons. We wanted a floor that was light in color and had some gloss to it so that eliminated vinyl. Also I needed to be able to countersink screws for some access panels and laminate would tend to chip. Finally we found that Home Depot had a glossy natural maple hardwood in stock and on sale so we could return any unused boxes w/o a restocking charge.

Removing the carpet was a job. On my 01 Contessa, the carpet was installed after the cabinets, so the tack strips were easy to access and remove. Not so on the Marquis. The carpet was
installed first with the center console and left side driver’s console sitting on top of the carpet and tack strips. Additionally they used padding with an adhesive backing from about 6” behind the metal step cover plate to the front of the coach. I was able to remove the carpet under the center console but had to cut it at the driver’s left console.

To deal with the .25” thick metal plate that covers the step slide out and sits atop the OSB subfloor  I installed .25” plywood on top of  the  original OSB, resulting in  level surface. I used construction adhesive and screws every 3” on the perimeters and on a 10” grid everywhere else.  I left openings for access to the step cover air cylinder at the driver’s feet and the wiring trough against the wall on the passenger side.

The actual wood installation went fairly smooth. Again I glued it all down with construction adhesive. It installed very similar to laminate, using the same tools but it sure cut a lot smoother. The afore mentioned removable panels turned out nicely. One is hidden by the sofa and the one just forward of the driver’s seat is hardly noticeable. I glued a vinyl transition strip between the wood and the tile as there was a slight height difference. I also had to set the center console up about a ¼” to make up for the difference in thickness between the carpet and wood. (Wood flooring material was 3/8” thick). This had to be done so the step closeout wouldn’t hit the carpeted trim on the console.

One added benefit was that I located an AC outlet behind the passenger sofa (meant for use with the desk option. I extended it an located it just behind the co-pilot chair.

I’ve attached before and after pics here. The in-process pictures are available at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xk5zndy8bpkhxnt/AABJw1IuT-IerHnH0Rho5M0ya

Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Steve Glaser

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: New Floor
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 02:58:49 PM »
Lee,
Thx for the kudos. . Your air cylinder is probably in approx the same place. The one in my Contessa was a bit closer to the door, but I think that was probably due to a shorter step cover.
Steve
Steve

Doug Allman

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:25:48 PM »
One mention in regard to your updating of the floor is the swing down TV cabinet. We have a 2004 Marquis and want to go from the 32" to a 42-46" LED TV. Any info would be great on the hardware you used to swing it down and keep it up along the highways of North America.

We are also about to redo the floor in our Marquis and are contemplating cork. We are having cork installed in our home and are going to take some of it out to see what it looks like in the Marquis. They have recently come out with a pattern that looks just like hardwood and it has the beveled edges like some hardwoods do.

The off white carpet is great looking in a showroom or brochure but it has that well used look now and we have had cork for years and totally like it for numerous reasons, quiet, soft, warm to the touch and always looks clean. We will if we use it seal it with a minimum of two coats of polyurethane to defend from moisture that cork does not like.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 11:59:01 PM »
Doug,

I took a very basic approach in that the TV swings down on 2 standard hinges that are attached to a cherry strip ~.75"x1" that is screwed into the aluminum frame that runs across the front of the coach. In viewing mode, it simply hangs from the hinges. In travel mode it is held up by 2 barrel bolts.  http://www.homedepot.com/p/2-1-2-in-Satin-Brass-Barrel-Bolt-15141/202033911  
The bolts are on the TV box and the receptacles are screwed into the ceiling panel. The TV box is right up against the ceiling and its weight is just enough to ensure no rattling. Also, I removed one side of the barrel bolts so I could align them with the edge of the TV box and get it right up against the ceiling. The TV weight is not enough to deform them. The other mod was to bevel the ends of the actual bolt to make them easily start into the receptacles. Probably a lot more elegant solutions out there but this worked for me.

Be sure to  measure carefully. A 39" was the biggest I could get in allowing for the cabinet box and clearances.

My install can be found in the redecorating section. It's dated 1/6/14 and titled "TV Install Complete".

Re: the cork floor; should look good!

Have fun and don't hesitate to contact me if you  have any questions.
Steve
Steve

Greg Ross

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 05:38:29 PM »
We had a water leak from the washing machine supply hose and several tiles have come loose and 4 are badly cracked, I can use thin set for the loose tiles but need replacements for 4 cracked tiles.
Does anyone know how I can get replacement tiles for a 2008 Contessa?

Thanks

Greg Ross
2008 Contessa
C9 425HP