Author Topic: Odd problem with power Door locks when coach power is turned Off then On  (Read 1982 times)

Mike Shumack

I noticed an odd problem with my power bay door locks when the battery disconnect is turn Off then turned On again.

The first time I noticed this was when I turned the house battery disconnect off and back on again. As I was walking past the Electrical Bay compartment I heard a buzzing noise. It was the relay for the power locks buzzing. I had to enter my door unlock code in the keypad to stop the relay. I thought that was the extent of the odd behavior.

But then the other day when I turned off the disconnect and turned it back on, I heard one of the bay door actuators running (cycling) continuously. I entered the door unlock code again and it stopped.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? 

There are two power lock "modules" (one is the "entry door keypad" unit and the other is a module under the dash for the key FOBs). I guess I can unplug one module at a time and see with may be causing the problem. After that I'm not sure what to do.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Odd problem with power Door locks when coach power is turned Off then On
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 06:48:41 PM »
Mike,
I've never had that happen but have a couple of thoughts. Next time it acts up, try turning the locks off with the key fob, then back on. It might help you track down the module that's acting up. As to cause it may be a faulty module, but it could also be triggered by a spike in the supply voltage when it is applied. To check, temporarily clip a diode between the 12v and gnd supply lines at the module (band toward the 12v line). Also consider a call to the mfgr. They were quite helpful when I was trouble shooting a factory mis-wire problem awhile back.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 08:28:21 PM »
Good idea. I never programmed the key FOBs. Maybe that's part of the problem.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 11:32:45 PM »
Mike, during my on-going saga with my power bay door locks, I have experienced the same symptoms. While I had the relay (K21) unplugged, of course there were none. When I plugged it back in, the keypad continuously clicked for quite some time, and would not unlock or lock the entry door. At the same time, the one bay door that still worked would continuously cycle, a continuing series of the actuator opening and closing. After awhile, as I systematically replaced the door latches, and unhooked the actuators, the problem stopped. At this moment, I have all but two of the bay doors changed, and no actuators powered. I can lock and unlock the entry door with the key fob, and the one working door I have had all along, that has not been changed. When I get them all done, and new actuators installed, I'm going to call Essex.

As a side note. I discovered that two of my bay doors never had lock cylinders, so they were never able to lock. The battery bay door is one of them. There was a key slot, but no lock cylinder. In the bay between the batteries and the bay that has the holding tanks, that door didn't even have a key slot. In 7-1/2 years, I never noticed it, because I just unlocked all of the doors at once, and opened the ones I needed, never knowing they were never locked.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad