Author Topic: BOLT LOCK on front door  (Read 1886 times)

KC Snellgrove

BOLT LOCK on front door
« on: December 12, 2019, 10:48:19 PM »
TO MY BEAVER FRIENDS: OH MY. I purchased a new dead bolt for my door. I am having difficulty adjusting the tightness on the 2 screws holding it together. If normal tightness then I cannot turn the key. If loose to turn the key it is too lose?

I would sincerely appreciate direction. THANK YOU!

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: BOLT LOCK on front door
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 04:19:50 AM »
I have the same problem and found out that if I tighten the screws so there is no movement of the lock, the key will either not turn or is very hard to turn.  I then loosen each screw an 1/8 of a turn at a time and after only one or two times, the lock works properly and the lock is still tight in the door.  It does loosen over time, especially with some of the roads we travel, but I just go back to the formula, tighten, loosen 1/8 turn.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: BOLT LOCK on front door
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 01:13:28 PM »
    Guys, I have run into this a number of times and it can make you crazy. The fix to the best of my ability is to align everything especially the exterior portion so the paint lines are centered. Then one drop of the blue "lock tight" on each of the threaded screws and tighten to the point that the dead bolt starts to show resistance to the key. Works great and won't loosen until you take it apart.
   Biggest issue I have found after the install is sometimes grand kids turn the dead bolt while the door is open and then you don't see it and close the door. Oh My....part of the adventure you know. Merry Christmas! Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley