Author Topic: Broken cable connection to Interstate Deep Cell Batteries  (Read 6916 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: Broken cable connection to Interstate Deep Cell Batteries
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2019, 03:50:05 PM »
Update: Using my phone to peck this out, one letter at a time. 😀

Not being able to find a repairman, I decided to get in to this myself. First, I should say for the first 24 hours, I continued to have full functionality via the shore power. Then I should say for the last 24 hours. I have been without any power from any source. Of course this happens when we had a gully washer rainstorm, and a present temp of 54 degrees, with 15mph winds straight out of the North 

When I disconnected the shore power and shut off the batteries, everything went out. I heard the AGS start but I now know my broken cable is to the transfer switch, so even though the generator and on it was not transferred. I plugged the shore power back in, heard the familiar ‘clunk’ but no transfer was made.

Before I unplugged the shore power the first time, everything was still working without the broken cable because no transfer was necessary.

All of my battery cables are 2/0 EXCEPT the disconnected one, its 3/0, a heavy duty welding cable. I was at a welding supply house at 7 am this morning and got what I need, including a cable cutter. Yesterday I stripped back the end of the 3/0 and the corrosion goes about 4 inches. I’m going to cut the bad part off and splice a new piece to reach the stud.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2019, 04:33:09 PM »
Get the heat shrink tubing with the "adhesive" inside. It makes a better seal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=201RZ7QGWf4
Good luck.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2019, 06:20:19 PM »
Success!! All repaired, and back to normal. Transfer switch is working, Inverter/Charger is charging, AC is in.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad
The following users thanked this post: Steve Huber Co-Admin