Author Topic: Broken Draw rope for window shades  (Read 4095 times)

Rocky Healey

• BAC Member
Broken Draw rope for window shades
« on: December 17, 2019, 04:54:30 AM »
I have 3 large windows that have darkening shades with rope draws and one of the ropes broke so I cannot lower the shade all the way. I can tie the ends together but will not be able to lower the shade all the way.  I wanted know if anyone else has had this problem and if so HOW do you fix it.  Don't want to restring the shade if it can be avoided.  Thanks in advance for help.

Rocky Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
45  C-13
Rocky & Suzi Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
C-13
45ft

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Broken Draw rope for window shades
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 09:48:15 PM »
We’ve never had a drawstring break itself, but it’s common for the “spools” (“bobbins”) at the frame bottoms to break.  The installers didn’t always take a wrap around the spool shaft to take the stress, and the knotted string end would crack and break through the hole in the spool flange.

If your string broke instead from wear, and you can’t knot in a short length of cord to make up for the single repair knot’s resulting length loss, it’s likely the only fix is a new string.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Rocky Healey

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 04:43:39 AM »
Thanks Joel however that is not the curtain that the rope is broken.  The curtain that has the broken rope is inside those curtains and is heavier and has the pull rope on one end like a house curtain.  These curtains also have a heavy duty canvas backing, not only for darkening but a thermo barrier, since I have been low 20 temps since coming south.

Rocky Healey
Patroit Thunder
45 ft   C-13
Rocky & Suzi Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
C-13
45ft

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 03:30:06 AM »
Yeah, I was afraid you were talking about an optional shade, different than what is factory for our model. 

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat