Author Topic: 1997 Beaver Monterey questions  (Read 3301 times)

JenniferMcCarthy

1997 Beaver Monterey questions
« on: December 30, 2019, 05:06:04 PM »
We are really struggling figuring out our Beaver electrical systems... If anyone is near Jackson MI and would like to come and show us we would really appreciate hands on help 😊😉
But here goes a couple questions:
1) where is the inverter at?
2) we have solar panels across the roof, but have no idea how to operate it. Or switch it to solar.
3) there is a switch in our closet in the bedroom, from what we figured out it goes to our hot water heater. But we have a hot water heater switch in the kitchen.🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
4) our furnace was making a lot of noise and now is not working 😥.
Thanks everyone. Looks like we need to attend a nearby meetup with some of you who know these MH's 😊

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: 1997 Beaver Monterey questions
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 05:54:11 PM »
1) where is the inverter at?
    Our inverter is mounted on the vertical wall immediately fore of the waste tanks.  It can be accessed from the basement storage compartment from either side of the coach by opening the basement doors.  We usually access our inverter from the street side basement door located immediately fore of the water bay door.

2) we have solar panels across the roof, but have no idea how to operate it. Or switch it to solar.
    We have two solar panels that do not have ON/OFF switches.  They are always on and making power when exposed to the sun.  The control box for our solar system is located on the vertical wall aft of the waste tanks.  The control box, labeled a Heliotrope, is accessed by opening the basement door immediately fore of the curbside rear wheels.  This basement door does not have a handle to open the door.  It has two clasps located under the door.

3) there is a switch in our closet in the bedroom, from what we figured out it goes to our hot water heater. But we have a hot water heater switch in the kitchen.🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
    We have an Aquahot, not a Hurricane.  I don't know which heating device your coach has.  Our Aquahot heats by using 110v power and/or diesel.  To heat water, our coach must have 110v power from either a shore power plug or from the generator.  Our inverter does not supply 110v power for water heating in the Aquahot.  We have a breaker switch in the 110v panel for turning ON/OFF the electric water heater in the Aquahot.  To heat water with diesel, we have a toggle switch for turning ON/OFF the diesel burner in the Aquahot.  This diesel burner toggle switch is located above the kitchen sink on the outside wall of a cabinet.

4) our furnace was making a lot of noise and now is not working 😥.
    Again, I don't know what device your coach has for heating water.  Our Aquahot is located behind the basement door immediately aft of the streetside steering wheel.  We can barely hear our Aquahot's diesel burner start up and rarely hear it when it's running.  Aquahots typically require an "annual service" every one to three years.  More usage will definitely require an annual service.  Less usage may require service every other year or so.  A typical annual service will cost $250 or so... with a new diesel nozzle, fuel filter, and a thorough checkup and cleaning.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 06:24:44 PM »
     Hi Jen, The Inverter (if original) I think is located somewhere near the house batteries, I'll include a pic to show how the original looks,
 2- the solar panels are automatic, no on or off switch that I know of. To check operation, At noon or close to it check the voltage at the house battery and chassis? battery. Should be around 13.0 volts if solar is working and the coach is UNPLUGGED from shore power. Go up on roof with a rug or cardboard and cover a panel from the sun & check voltage again. It should be 12.7 or close to it. Repeat on other panel and chassis battery.
 3- The switch in the closet is to heat the water heater on 120 volt electric, (the switch in the galley is for propane operation of the water heater.
 4- The furnace is probably a suburban SF-42 which needs a new blower motor
         Blessings and hope you make great memories with your new adventure!   Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

JenniferMcCarthy

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 06:45:20 PM »
Thank you so much for the information. Hubby is on his way out to check things out.
We've had the Beaver since July and only got to use it once. Can't wait to really enjoy it ❤

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 12:09:24 AM »
Jennifer, at the moment there aren’t any BAC rallies scheduled in your area, but they’re working on it.  Check the Winter issue of Beaver Tales or the BAC website for other rallies you might be interested in but requiring some travel (that’s most of the fun anyway).  Attending one would get all your coach questions answered and then some.

If you can make time in your 2020 schedule for an extended adventure, consider coming to Redmond for the main Beaver club rally in September.  You’ll experience the Beaver “home country” there and meet those who know the most about your coach.  And if there’s something you need analyzed or repaired, there’s arguably no better place in the country to take it to than Ty and Jodie Kelly’s Beaver Coach Service just down the highway in Bend, next to where your coach was built.  Just be sure to make the appointment months in advance;  it’s a popular and busy place.

https://beaveramb.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Sept20-1.jpg

There is also the Great Lakes FMCA area rally in Allegan, MI in June.  Although not Beaver specific, you’ll likely learn a lot about coaches in general at this large venue, and probably meet other Beaver owners somewhere along the line.

https://www.fmca.com/fmca-events?gclid=CjwKCAiA3abwBRBqEiwAKwICA_CGhpBV2GFuWbFxOHNQyw0Accmu6lweHHfGKZmReMGHq0WVUiH3XxoCpL0QAvD_BwE

Joel
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 12:30:46 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

JenniferMcCarthy

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 12:22:35 AM »
I would love to travel and do some of the west rallies... But I'm struggling to get hubby to spend money, or take time off of work. Pretty soon I'll just go without him lol.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 01:20:31 AM »
You can’t own one of these without steeling yourself to the idea of it costing more than the initial purchase price.  RV Park fees, fuel, insurance... and budgeting for repairs;  your husband needs to come to grips with that as many of us have.  The thing is an investment in the enjoyments of life.  Just letting it sit, depreciating and burning insurance, is not the idea.

“Pretty soon I’ll just go without him”.
Hey, whatever gets ya on the road.  Medical issues have kept us sidelined for 3 years, and I envy anyone without that excuse.  That impediment aside, we’ve eyed many rallies over the years, but yeah, I get it;  $350-$600 for 3 or 4 days discourages many of us with a limited and fixed income that’s always been carefully apportioned.  But get yourself to at least one.

Personally, I find Park fees the most costly.  On our longest trip, 6000 miles and 6 months, fuel costs didn’t hold a candle to space rents.  Staying plugged in at relatives’ homes enroute, taking advantage of free or low-cost small town city parks, using our senior pass at (big enough) Forest Service spots, and staying long enough to get extended-stay discounts at private ones all help the budget.  Some utilize (cough) Walmart parking lots or state rest areas, but there’s commonly rules, and hazards, to be aware of with both of those options.  Many utilize memberships in half-price private park programs, as seen advertised in your monthly FMCA magazine, but they have restrictions that require extra planning of your schedule.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Don and Kathy DuCharme

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 01:28:52 AM »
Hi Jennifer, we live north of Battle Creek and owned a 99 Monterey and now a 07 Contessa. Would be happy to assist whenever possible. We are heading South in a few days and will not return until early April. I too would suggest that you consider the GLAMA rally in Allegan.  We will be there and there are usually other Beavers in attendance.  A good place to gather information from others with similar problems. Allow me to also put in a plug for the Michigan Knights of the Highway chapter of FMCA.  Our first rally of 2020 will be in Elkhart, Indiana, and I invite you to you join us. Will try to keep in touch and perhaps we can get together after we return from warm weather.
07 Contessa
C9;400HP
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley