Author Topic: Flair it Manifold leaking  (Read 2259 times)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Flair it Manifold leaking
« on: January 18, 2020, 09:13:03 PM »
I have the typical hot/ cold water manifold made up of individual Flair It manifold valves. I was working to pull in a new piece of 1/4" tubing for our new residential refrigerator ice maker when I inadvertently hit the water pump switch. I soon noticed water dripping from all of the manifold valves! The leak is where the 1/2" flex hose connects to each valve (1/2" mpt threads). I shut off the water pump and used the low point drain valves to drain the manifold. So I thought that I would simply replace the cone washer in the hose end that connects to the valve to see if that would take care of the leaks.  I tightened the finger grip nut on each hose hand tight and checked that the fitting was not cross-threaded. No luck. Its been cold here (45f) but I've never noticed the whole valve manifold leaking when its cold. What gives? The leaking hose runs from the valve to the PEX tubing that feeds each fixture. The other two sides of the manifold valves doesn't leak. Stumped!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Gerald Farris

Re: Flair it Manifold leaking
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 05:51:16 PM »
Bill,
The cone washers come in a soft rubber, a firm rubber, and nylon. If you used the nylon ones, they usually require a little more than finger tight, but the rubber ones, especially the soft ones, only require a firm finger tight connection. Just remember, these fittings are plastic and overtightening results in a cracked fitting.

Gerald 

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 06:17:15 PM »
Thanks Gerald. The replacement cone washers I found are Santoprene (?) and are off-white. I'm not sure they are the correct washers, as the ones I removed appear to have a step or hat like cross section. Leaks are at swivel elbow where the flex tubing connects to the manifold valve. The elbow, as far as I can tell, is 1/2" tapered pipe thread at the end where the leak is.  Funny thing is that last year I replaced original flex hose on the hot supply to the manifold with stainless braided hose. Fittings are 1/2' pipe thread on both ends, the replacement hose has a flat rubber washer; It has also developed a new leak! Still in the 40's here; I can wait until it warms up a bit. I'd like to replace all the flex hoses in the wet bay as they have aged and become as stiff as steel (almost) and trying to push them out of the way to do any tightening or repair is difficult.
I have a vision of a leak-free, clean and organized wet bay; We'll see...
525 hp C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 09:05:53 PM »
I don’t know if this will be of any help as your manifold may be different, Bill, and there apparently are valve options.  Scroll down to videos that may be helpful.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Viega-51602-Valve-Stem-Replacement-Kit-1-4-Turn?gclid=Cj0KCQiAvJXxBRCeARIsAMSkAprhNXYjB0qj9yRkfYUNFK0NkAao30UsOgzSp6yvrpeRjlMiCTjEhkIaAld0EALw_wcB

And I noticed this (also available at Amazon):  https://www.rvplus.com/cirque-bg-10-1-2-saniprene-seal-06435.html

But I’m wondering if somewhere along the line the mana bloc was subjected to freezing and some of your stems have micro-cracks.  New seals won’t fix that.

Joel
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 09:12:41 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 09:51:10 PM »
No cracks, as the leak is always at the same place; Not in the valve, but where the flexible hose connection is-I just have to find the right flat washers to fix, or replace all hoses!
525 hp C13