Author Topic: Dash Temp Gauges Not Working  (Read 2452 times)

Thomas Holliday

Dash Temp Gauges Not Working
« on: January 15, 2020, 03:33:56 AM »
2004 Beaver Marques Garnet: Engine coolant and transmission temp gauges barely come off the low temp peg during Beaver operation; tech has tested gauges and found them to be in working order. Rush Truck Center installed new sending units and confirmed temperatures shown on Aladdin System to be "dead on". However, Rush Truck guys cannot figure why analog gauges in dash do not show correct temps. Any suggestions?

Bill Sprague

Re: Dash Temp Gauges Not Working
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 05:00:38 AM »
Dash gauges don't have to be and aren't accurate.  Monaco didn't spend enough money on them for that.  But, they are consistent.  Put a spot of tape or grease pencil mark where the needle normally is.  Then you can spot it quickly if there is a deviation.   

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 05:23:24 PM »
Check the ground for the gauges. The ground is one thing they all have in common. There is a ground terminal on the back of the gauge. Check that the connection is tight. Also check the ground bar/strip under the dash (although I don't know where the dash gauge grounds terminate).

You can try running a new ground (temporary wire) to a good ground near the dash and see if that helps the gauge accuracy.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 03:02:45 PM »
Thomas,
You said that the sending units were replaced, did they replace the digital or analog sending units, because you have two different sending units for each reading.

I have always said that the dash gauges are for entertainment purposes only, but they should be more accurate than you described. I agree with Mike in that the dash ground circuit is the first place to check. It sounds like your shop is more interested in throwing parts at your problem than diagnosing it. Any "technician" can change sending units, but it requires a good mechanic to properly diagnose an electrical system to tell why it is not working properly.

Gerald