Author Topic: Hello from Cincinnati  (Read 7292 times)

Mike Shumack

Re: Hello from Cincinnati
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2020, 06:49:31 PM »
5.5 mpg (average) is what I get.
Speed doesn't seem to matter much (I tested at 62, 65, and 70 mph over a 1000 mile trip and it was the same mpg at each speed).
The following users thanked this post: Gary Curtis

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2020, 03:43:50 AM »
I don’t know why the hurry.  We buy these to enjoy the country.  Slow down and do just that.  78!!  I rarely reach 75 and that only in places like I-84 in Idaho when necessary to not impede traffic.  I commonly obey the posted truckers speed too.  Keep in mind also that the max speed stamped on all the coach wheels I’ve seen says 75.  That’s the max, not the preferred.

I don’t know how Mike does it, but the faster I go the more energy I have to use and the more fuel I use.  62 accomplishes decent mileage in 6th on the long flats, cruise keeps me from micro-pumping the pedal, and I can relax at the wheel more (especially since Henderson’s tweaked our chassis).

Gary, check the date codes on your tire sidewalls to see how old they are.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2020, 04:29:24 PM »
Gary,
Bill is right about the issue of high speeds and related tire failure issues. The tires on your coach probably have a maximum speed rating of 75 mph at the listed load to air pressure rating. So if you are going to drive in the 75 to 80 mph range you should increase your pressure, probably to the max cold inflation PSI. However if you are already running the max inflation like some of us because of or high axle weights, driving at 80 puts you at a higher risk of a dangerous tire blow-out.

The other issue with high speeds is fuel consumption. Remember that you are driving a 8 1/2 by 12 foot sail down the road and increased speed translates into increased wind resistance, and that means increased fuel consumption. Most coaches get their maximum fuel mileage at highway speeds between 58 and 64 MPH, depending on engine torque curve and gear ratios. However, if you are in a hurry and are willing to gamble with the reduced tire safety risk and about a 20% increase in you fuel cost, have at it.

Gerald   

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2020, 04:25:05 PM »
If you are towing also check the speed limit on the toad.  I know mine is 65.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2020, 08:57:28 PM »
I usually drive the speed limit.  If it's 70 I drive 70, if it's 60-65, I drive 70..  My tires are rated at 81mph.  I get a pretty constant 7.0 per gallon. 7.2mpg when doing around 62.  6.9 mpg when traveling around 70.  My coach is a rough ride at 60.  At 70 everything seems to just get smooth.  Rides better and handles better.  So I go 70 whenever possible. 
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Gary Curtis

• BAC Member
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2020, 11:27:34 PM »
Well I made the 275 mile journey home from Chicago and took all the advise into consideration. The coach seemed to run best at 65 mph so most of my trip was 65-70 mph. Along the way I purchased over 100 gallons of fuel to top off the tank. From the truck stop to my destination was 70 miles and the panel indicated that 4% of the fuel had been consumed when I reached my destination. So that works out to 70 miles / (150 gal x 0.04) = 11.6 mpg. I guess I should not trust the panel or I got some incredible fuel economy that segment!
Gary & Bonnie Curtis (Cincinnati, OH)
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder - Hanover 44    #043155
CAT C-13, 525HP, Alison 4000MH
Towing 2019 Tesla M3 (Sparkie)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 12:38:49 AM »
Gauges and Aladdin aren’t as accurate as that, especially with a “full” tank.  Use them as a general guide, so you don’t get too low between fills;  I ran out one time in our Pace Arrow on a long Hwy 101 hill when I thought I had a quarter of a tank.  Now I look to top off when I’m around half a tank.  And to prevent algae growth, I always top off just before coming home for a long park/storage.

Circumstances can mean different fill points when you’re at the pump.  The best measure is averaging mileage out over several fill ups and differing terrain and weather.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2020, 04:49:11 PM »
The C 13 Cat is not a fuel milage motor, now that I'm over 75K miles she is starting to run, I get right around 6 MPG and it doesn't make much difference unhill, downhill, wind no wind usually averages out around 6 +- a bit. I don't even check it anymore as it doesn't change and I don't run over 65. I see these people blow by me at 75 just looking for a ditch to end up in and we usually pass them down the road because they are stopping all the time.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2020, 05:27:39 PM »
The biggest risk to driving, whether it's an RV, car, or motorcycle, is just being on the highways these days.  So... if you accept that risk, then the other risk add-ons aren't so significant... assuming the weather, highway condition, and the RV's drive train, tires, and brakes are in good shape.

I find that cars usually pass me, half the trucks pass me and I pass half of them, and most other RVs I pass when on a two-lane road with both lanes going my way or in uphill passing lanes.  Freightliner RVs blow by me.

As to stopping frequently, count me in that group.  I am sure glad to be carting my bathroom with me.  Sometimes those rest area stops are too far apart!
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!