Author Topic: Another cracked Windshield - what's going on?!  (Read 4214 times)

Mike Shumack

Another cracked Windshield - what's going on?!
« on: January 21, 2020, 01:19:04 PM »
I just noticed a crack in my windshield!

I had the windshield on my 2005 Patriot replaced about a year ago for cracking on driver's side. That was due to frame twisting from a malfunctioning HWH leveling valve. At that time I also bought (had installed) and new windshield gasket. I only went on one major trip since then (to north east), and did not notice any windshield cracks after returning from that trip. The roads in the NE are rough. Maybe it cracked then and I just didn't notice to now (that would mean my copilot didn't see it either).

My coach has been sitting in my yard since my last trip and I have not done anything (like jacking up a wheel) that would have twisted frame enough to crack glass.

So what's going on?

Lee Welbanks

Re: Another cracked Windshield - what's going on?!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 02:31:22 PM »
Mike, On your trip up north you may had a rock chip your glass and you did not notice it and the chip did not run at that time. Sitting in your yard with temp cycling it decided that it was time to go for a run.
I've had good luck using chip sealing kits but last spring I missed one that was at the very top left and the chip took off down the left side and stopped about half way down, I'm not going to replace the glass unless I have to.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 04:30:17 PM »
That could explain the crack, Lee.
In FL the windshield replacement is free (no deductible), but that doesn't mean my insurance rates wont go up. I'll wait as long as I can. I don't believe it is a safety concern right now.

Is there anything I can do that could help keep the crack from growing? I'll put some clear packing tape over the crack for now.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 09:00:17 PM »
That looks like it’s working up from the dash, which doesn’t imply a chip but rather stress.  Yours and my one-piece windshields were new technology back then.  When ours slowly cracked, at only months old and while parked by the house, the Monaco tech at Harrisburg attributed the (common) problem to a faulty factory installation. 

It took awhile for manufacturers to get one-piece technology right.  The logistics of setting the glass, especially in coaches of that era, is for only experienced personnel.  There must be total perimeter cap/gasket/glass flexibility.  Even the smallest flaw overlooked or ignored by inexperienced repairmen can be a stress point that out of nowhere begins a break hidden by the gasket trim.  As mentioned, then heating and cooling cycles exacerbate the crack.

Did your installer last year provide a workmanship warranty?

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 10:56:37 PM »
Mike,
Drilling a small hole at the end of the crack should relieve the stress and stop the travel. Tape won't do anything but distort the view and leave a residue when you remove it IMHO.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 11:03:25 PM »
I know about drilling a hole in metal to stop a crack - didn't consider that for my glass. I suppose the smaller the hole the better (so less likely rain water can drip in). But I would also cover hole with clear tape). I'll need to check Amazon or Grainger for a glass drill bit.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 02:25:49 AM »
Mike,
Crack is most likely in the outer layer of glass. No need to drill all the way through.
Steve
Steve

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 02:26:48 AM »
With the addition of the larger rubber windshield gaskets was supposed to take care of the stress cracking problem. When I had mine done back in 14 at Glass Solutions in Eugene, Or they actually glued it in. We couldn't move the coach for 4 hrs after. They said that it would never stress because Monaco had made the windshield openings a little larger and using a larger gasket. I don't know if that is true but I've had my PT in some real off angle places and never broke the glass.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 02:48:44 PM »
Perhaps Monaco fixed the glass stressing/cracking issue for 2006 up models (but maybe it was never a Monaco problem). My 2005 PT is on a different chassis (a Magnum chassis) whereas the 2006 which is on a Roadmaster S chassis. And the 2005 was built in the Beaver facility whereas the 2006 up models where built in the Monaco facility. 

I'm going to call a mobile glass repair company and see if I can have the crack drilled and filled. I could drill the hole, but i don't have all the tools needed to do the job properly.

This video shows how to do the crack repair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtbJ-jNHHns

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 03:09:35 PM »
Mike,
If the crack was caused by stress, it could be due to improper mounting. If so, you will just be delaying the next crack. You may want to consider having a glass shop that specializes in large RVs look at it and fix the problem permanently. RV Glass Solutions, a club sponsor, is one of the best IMHO. They will be at a FL RV event in Like Oak FL Feb 12-16. They are shown on the BAC web home page. https://www.rvglassexperts.com/
Steve
Steve

Mike Tomas

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 05:26:40 PM »

I'm a big believer that the unexplained front windshield cracks are caused by frame twisting. A few years ago, before I purchased our coach during my research phase, I came across a beaver related blog (maybe even on here) explaining the reasons between 4-point and 3-point jack systems. I couldn't believe it was simply a cost saving measure, in fact it was more of an engineering solution to negate windshield cracking by allowing the front frame to pivot from side to side while the rear jacks leveled the coach.

A lot of this has to do with the operator's procedures while transferring from on the road operation to parked and level. purging the air bags (as normally should be done) will allow the chassis to drop to the frame of the axles, and if the ground is slightly uneven, those axles could be counter inclined to one another causing some minor frame twisting as it settles down.

Now I proved all of this to myself recently while doing a 12 hour rest stop layover. I didn't want to go full level set up, so I purged the air bags by about 50% and only "touchdown" the front jack (not lifting the coach as I was rear high) and then dropped the rear jacks and leveled. We heard a pop, didn't know what it was until next morning we saw the crack in the windshield. I believe I purged the air bags farther than I had thought dropping the chassis near bottom to the axles, didn't raise the front end off the axles high enough to provide "wiggle room" between the axles and the chassis (and I usually raise approximately 4 to 5 inches above not just "touchdown") and we paid the price.

Now, no matter what: The front jack goes down. Lifts the coach by 4 or more inches and then I level with rear.

My current procedure is to turn off the engine, Purge the air bags, deploy the slides, drop the front center and raise front end, then drop and level the rear, and adjust side to side, and finally front to rear (never lowering the front center jack).

I would make the argument that if you have a 4-point jack system, that the owner should drop the front two jacks down to "touchdown" (maybe even all 4) purge the air bags, deploy the slides, and then level the coach. This would at least keep the chassis above, and prevent it from touching the axles. But I would run that past BCS first as it may effect the slide deployment. Right now, from what my manual says, I should purge the air bags then deploy the slides to prevent jamming it with a (possibly) twisted frame. Then level.

But, for instance, if you purge your tanks and your front passenger wheel is high, front drivers side low, and rear passenger side is low, and rear drivers side High due to ground level, then your frame is twisted anyway in some cases. I would tend to think that the coach frame is most level (stress free) when the air bags are at ride height. Thus -to me- touching down the jacks then purging would make more sense. And you know what? I may choose to modify my procedure to touchdown the front jack then purge in the future, but my current procedure has been successful with the exception of my small stOopId shortcut at the rest stop that one time. I know what I did caused the crack -even when my copilot questioned me, I did it anyway. Lesson learned.
-Just my .02¢ of input. -Not to be confused with the $2.00 input from others.

[]\/[]Tomas
Phoenix, Arizona • Region 4
2000 Patriot Thunder 425
Princeton • Ketchum Creek
Magnum C-Series “Big Cat” Chassis
CAT 425 • Joined 201804

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 06:21:05 PM »
Quite a bit more than $.02 worth! My issue is that if I use the airbags to level, my curb side bay doors won't close due to misalignment! The bay door openings actually go from being a rectangle to a parallelogram (racked, if you will). If I use the 3-point Jacks, no problem. I've learned not to mess with the airbags.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."