Author Topic: Patriot skid rollers  (Read 3250 times)

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
Patriot skid rollers
« on: February 27, 2020, 08:49:25 AM »
Skid roller question....
Looking to see if anyone here in Beaver land has  purchase  HD rollers and what kind to protect the engine and trans oil pans from scraping. Ours was replaced once due to it being whacked thereby leaking oil, before I bought the coach. And it has again some pretty good scrapes already on it when i was inspecting the coach. And the sellers where not Rambo drivers. So either my rear bags height is set wrong (they where inspected and reset 4000 miles before I bought it) or everyone has come up with a really good solution?
Looking for suggestions on brand, type and mounting preference(hitch vs weld vs bolt ons) for a 96 Patriot 33' Savannah?
Also if welding on what is the protocol for an electronic engine?

Thank you in advance,
Jeff Johnson
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Patriot skid rollers
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 12:30:11 AM »
   Hi Jeff,
I think you have an issue with your departure angle. Either the air bag height is set wrong or someone unknown has changed something. If I was to address this issue, I would pull a string from the bottom of the dual tires to the lowest point of the trailer hitch attached to the frame in the rear. Now observe what is in harms way between the 2 points. Could be the wrong oil pan on your Cat.
   Most folks with a 10' to 12' overhang with similar issues try to traverse all driveways at a 45 degree angle when possible to mitigate possible contact. Let me know what you find out, hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

GARY AND CONNIE HARMAN

WW
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 02:20:25 AM »
We have a 2005 Beaver Monterey Bayview IV  my friends call us the low rider in the group we especially when we air her down at the camp site and she kneels low to help us climb aboard We installed heavy duty 2" weld on wheels attached to rear The installer used a line determine where to weld them on just enough to clear the trailer hitch that always dragged on steep inclines or driveways  he also put a small steel skid plate under lowest point of receiver just in case  center dragged  We have been very happy with results Yes it still scrapes but is protected..Go slow and proceed slow. the wheels contact the surface and have eliminated the issue we tried the type that attached to the trailer hitch but it hung down too low causing even more scraping so do not oversize the solution or additional surface contact will occur more often than before install 
  Thanks to everyone who has helped us keep or Beaver rolling the forum continues to be our go to source for information big and small because its always something and so far it is still worth the effort
We hope to see you during our travels  Gary and Connie Harman

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 03:22:41 AM »
Thank you for the response Fred, Gary & Connie,

Yeah I'm not sure what the issue is here, but it is very disconcerting to say the least. If everything checks out I believe I would still like to have a set of rollers installed just for piece of mind........ I hate thinking of losing an engine!
With that thought is there rollers someone prefers and is there a protocol for welding them on to the frame?

Yes, I was looking at some that went on the hitch but I prefer to have them right next to the oil pans so there is no question, but maybe the installer has some ideas as well.

Thank you,
Jeff
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 03:34:36 AM »
  Jeff, If you are going to weld, remove the negative cable from the chassis battery. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 04:03:49 AM »
As mentioned, always try to negotiate driveway and other similar dips at an angle.  Our model of coach, like yours, was cut kinda low back there.  Tiring of scraping the receiver and pinching the mud flap, banging it up as well, I put on a Roadmaster roller that’s helped a lot.  Occasionally I’ve had to clean and lube the roller as it does take a beating and gets dirty, and freezes up.

You can also air up and raise from Travel Mode, but on our relatively short model, that backfires when rear tie straps stop the back raising, while the front keeps going up.  The resulting front to back tilt leaves the hitch lower than normal, not higher.  So I have to guess when the rear is strapped and stop raising.

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/accessories/hitch/rollaway.php

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 05:30:07 PM »
Thank you Fred and Joel for the input on the this issue, I'll keep all of your advice in mind as I tackle this.
Jeff
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 08:37:07 PM »
Hi Jeff,
Pat Long (a former BAC member - so can't post) saw your post and wanted me to forward this info to you...
He used these Sid-Rollers on his Beaver coach https://www.ebay.com/itm/HAMILTON-S-SECJ-6FSH-Plate-Caster-Swivel-Heavy-Duty-3500-lb/383008954833?epid=24028622034&hash=item592d1cd9d1:g:I4IAAOSwZSRdBg5Y

Good luck.

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 02:59:19 AM »
Thank you very much Mike for forwarding on Pat's great info on the skid rollers.
Jeff
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 04:35:06 AM »
I had a pair of wheels similar to Mike and Pat’s reference put on the hitch frame of our old Pace Arrow.  They worked fine but required installation by someone with experience.  Ours were welded to the hitch frame extremes on either side of the receiver itself. 

They, like anything in that location, were subject to a lot of gravel and dirt, so it was important to clean them regularly and use grease at their zirc fittings.  Otherwise they’d freeze up, which meant they’d scrape and wear instead of roll, or they resisted free-pivoting.  Fine road grit is hard on any device with bearings.  Their positioning, a couple feet apart, was good for providing a broad protection/support format.

You have to figure that whatever device you use, it must endure a lot of stress when the weight of the back of the coach comes down on it.  So if welded on, the job needs to be professional and needs inspecting for cracks regularly and after known impacts.  The single Roadmaster one (“Rollaway”) that I have isn’t bolted or welded, but rather slips over the end of the receiver.  The one time I found its wheel semi-frozen up, it was easily removed to my workbench for servicing/adjustment.  It also has helped stop damage to the mud flap that used to get caught between the ground and the hitch, a problem apparently specific to that era of Monterey and how and where the flap is hung.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 05:50:09 AM »
Thank you again Joel.
 Who knows maybe when Kaiser gets done with me in a couple of weeks I won't need any.  I'm replacing the seals on my torque arms starting next week with a mobile mechanic in Mosier/The Dalles. So there might be some panic requests if when inspecting the shock mounts or something else.
As Paul Harvey would say" Standby for news!".
Jeff
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 09:16:06 PM »
Pat Long asked me to add into this thread the photo of the caster wheel setup he installed.

If I had a photo of the ones on our old Pace Arrow, I’d add it too.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 12:17:17 AM »
Nicely done.
Thanks.
jeff