Author Topic: Jackstand recommendations for Beaver Marquis  (Read 1726 times)

Denis Casserly

Jackstand recommendations for Beaver Marquis
« on: January 23, 2020, 06:13:19 PM »
Hi All,
this is my first post so gimme pointers if I goofed it up please.
I own a '89 Beaver 40' and it needs some work on it's fresh water tank leak and an air leak at the front end.
I'm keen to attempt the repair work myself but would rather not get under it until I've secured the frame rails on jackstands.
Had it weighted: 5 tons front axle and 9 tons rear axle. Is it realistic to lift the vehicle on it's HWH hydraulic jack system,
and slip stands under the frame rails, and then lower it back down on to the jackstands, so they take all the weight?
Perhaps jackstands are a bad idea. Am I overlooking something? If anyone has any experience with accessing the underside
please enlighten me. Thanks for your time and
cheers, Denis

Mike Shumack

Re: Jackstand recommendations for Beaver Marquis
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 06:45:37 PM »
If you need to pull a wheel off - then jack stands are needed. But if you just want to get under the coach to work on it then I find ramps the easiest way to go. You just drive the rear wheel up (let tag axle hang) then you can fit under the coach.

You still need to be aware of any crush areas under the coach (i.e. if an air bag was to blow out. Or you can deflate the bags before goign under). This is the same whether you use ramps or jacks.

If you get jack stands be sure a single jack stand is heavy enough to support the coach's weight. Typically jack stands are rated as a pair - so for example, jack stands rated for 10,000 pounds means one stand is good for 5,000 lbs.

Denis Casserly

Re: Jackstand recommendations for Beaver Marquis
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 03:50:58 PM »
Thanks for the information Mike. The picture reveals much detail, esp the plywood spacers.