Author Topic: CAT Filters, I got it! But...  (Read 2241 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
CAT Filters, I got it! But...
« on: February 06, 2020, 09:56:13 PM »
I had the old primary Racor fuel filter and base changed to the CAT filter base a few years ago.  Last year when I went to Alliance for yearly service I noticed that the pri filter they used was a Wix.  The Secondary was the CAT filter.  Today I'm gathering P/Ns to get ready for this years service (at a new place.)  I planned to replace the Wix with a CAT filter but noticed that the filter base looks different than one that one of y'all posted a while back.  Eagle's Pride in Titusville did the work and frankly it wouldn't surprise me if they just put something else on to save them money and charge me extra.  So my questions, are 1. Is the attached photo (I hope) the CAT filter base?
2. If not will the CAT water sep. primary filter fit it or do I need to stick to wix?
3. Does it even matter on the primary filter?
Thanks.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Lee Welbanks

Re: CAT Filters, I got it! But...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 12:20:22 AM »
Jerry, take that Wix filter number and go on line and see if you can cross it to a Cat filter. Cat doesn't make one for my primary so I get the Napa gold filter # 3812, and get it from Amazon about $20 cheaper than through the Napa store.
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert, Andrew Shoen

Mike Shumack

Re: CAT Filters, I got it! But...
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 11:32:19 AM »
That base looks like the CAT filter base I just bought (I switched from the Raycor to the CAT filter setup in January). It is part number 137-4367 (for base).

Jerry, your filter does not appear to have a "clear bowl" to let you see (and drain) any water that accumulates in the filter. It may not be necessary to have the clear bowl, but its nice to be able to take a quick look and know if there is water or not.

The base is the same Cat base I have, it takes CAT filter (133-5673) and clear bowl (129-0375).

The CAT primary filter crosses to a WIX 33780. (That WiX filter has a drain on the bottom, but not a clear bowl). The thread size is 1-14", the diameter is 4.282", and the micron rating (WIX) is 13.

So if you wanted the CAT filter or the clear bowl, you can just install it on your coach. The base is the same.
However, the WIX filter will do the job just fine so there is no need to change to CAT, IMO (unless Dave says to do so).

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:53:33 PM by Mike Shumack »
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert