Author Topic: Slide out bearing  (Read 8863 times)

Jim Shaw

Slide out bearing
« on: May 21, 2011, 11:31:05 PM »
The rear slide on my 2003 Beaver Monterey has a broken bearing in the track. It is in a track and looks like I may need to remove the slide to replace it. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you replace it. The slide was made by a company called LTM and  they can supply a new bearing if I can find a way to replace it.
Thanks Jim

Bill Sprague

Re: Slide out bearing
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 05:57:05 AM »
Jim,

I assume that's the bedroom slide?  

Bill

Jim Shaw

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 02:04:27 PM »
Bill, Yes that is the bedroom slide, I have posted another picture showing the frame work a little better.
Jim

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 06:35:25 PM »
Jim,
I replaced the bearings on the bedroom slide in a 2003 Contessa that had two broken bearings. That slide looked identical to yours from what I can see in the pictures, although I can not be certain.

It was about a two hour job with two pry bars, getting the broken pieces of the two failed bearings out and shifting the slide side to side enough to get in the new bearings. It is not an easy job, but if you are a good mechanic it is doable without removing the slide.

Gerald  

Doug Neal

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 11:22:07 PM »
Gerald is correct. It is not an easy job. I know because the bearings he replaced were on my coach. If you need the bearings or part # I think I still have 2 left. They were bought from NAPA.

Doug Neal
doug.nealak@gmail.com
602 501-8023

Call me if I can help. We are currently in Petersburg, VA

Jim Shaw

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 12:08:31 AM »
Thanks Gerald and Doug,
Doug, yes I would like the part numbers for the bearings.
Gerald do you remember the procedure for changing the bearings. It looks like they may be pressed on the part that is held in place by the nut on the inside of the frame.
Jim

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 03:16:00 AM »
Jim,
It is hard to explain the procedure, because the clearance is so tight. The stud that the bearings are mounted are a snug fit but not a press fit.

You have to slide the edge on the inner channel that the bearings are mounted to inside the outer channel, to get enough clearance to slide the new bearing into position. On the last one, there is only enough clearance to slide the bearing into position with the mounting stud inside it until you get the stud lined up with the hole that it mounts in.

Then you have to align the channels so that they are perfectly even and parallel, so that the slide will function smoothly. Unless you are at least a pretty fair mechanic with a lot of patience, you should consider having them replaced by someone. However, if you have the time and patience along with a little ability it is doable.

Gerald  
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:41:51 AM by 14 »

Doug Neal

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 05:41:48 PM »
The part # on the NAPA box is 6203-2RSJ the j is a larger j than the rest of the text so I am not sure what that means. The bearing is made in Argentina & the # from the race is 6203-2RSH/C3GJN. The forward / between H & C could be a 7. Gerald is correct about the fact that you need to have above adverage skills to make this happen. Let me know if I can be of further assistance

Bill Sprague

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 02:40:05 PM »
Is this a bearing that should be lubricated to prevent failure?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 03:28:48 PM »
Bill,
The bearing is a sealed unit and can not be lubricated after installation.

Gerald

Bill Sprague

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 02:18:20 PM »
Quote from: Gerald Farris
Bill,
The bearing is a sealed unit and can not be lubricated after installation.

Gerald
Thanks Gerald.