Author Topic: modify SUV RX350 to be flat towable  (Read 2392 times)

Uwe Schmalenbach

• BAC Member
modify SUV RX350 to be flat towable
« on: February 19, 2020, 05:24:01 AM »
I want to buy a new SUV to flat tow and want to use a Lexus RX350 because it has features not available on a Jeep or Ford or Lincoln. The RX350 normally is not flat towable. I want to modify it so it can be flat towed. I understand that can be done by installing a pump that provides lubrication to the gearbox and other parts during the towing.

Pls let me know who has modified any SUV that was not flat towable so that it can be towed flat and what equipment was used to accomplish that so I can copy that procedure.
2007 Contessa 40'
CAT C9 400 hp

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: modify SUV RX350 to be flat towable
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 11:19:58 AM »
Strongly suggest you contact Roadmaster towing before buying.  We have a Lincoln Navigator and no amount of modifying will make it towable.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Uwe Schmalenbach

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 11:24:12 AM »
I have one of those RXs too. I have not found anything (device, pump) that will allow flat towing. Remco is one provider of these pumps - but doesn't have anything for the RX350. http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 02:30:29 PM »
I think the only Toyota type vehicle that Toyota says can be flat towed is one of their 4Runner models. We have a 2014 Toyota FJ that Toyota offers no means to modify it for flat towing. They say, do not lfat tow.

The FJ has an automatic tranny with a manual transfer case (2H, Neutral, 4L, 4H).

I installed the Remco driveshaft disconnect kit and have towed ~10k miles so far without problems.

I leave the transfer case in 2H, pull the knob to disconnect the driveshaft from the differential.

The big deal here is the manual transfer case. The only way to disconnect the front axles is to leave the transfer case in 2H. Any other selection connects the front axel, including neutral. Weird huh....

If you have an AWD, or full time 4WD there is no way to manually disconnect the front axel.

This is just my experience. Not recommending anyone do this. Be sure of what you are doing to keep everything glued together.

Phil