Author Topic: Hydro Hot  (Read 3363 times)

John Ziomek

• BAC Member
Hydro Hot
« on: January 09, 2020, 06:01:08 PM »
Howdy to all,
Hydro hot has quit heating our hot water.

2006 Monterey, we are on 50amp shore power.

went to the electronic control panel (ecp) and the 'low tank level cutoff' light was on (red). Checked level and was very low in the tank, nothing in the little overflow tank. Bought some antifreeze, Camco 100degree premixed, took right at a gallon to top the tank off.

Turned on the switch inside the unit near the sink and waited about on hour.....no hot water...went back to the ecp and the electric heating element status and the heating status led's were green. The low tank level cutoff led was still red.

Tried resetting the unit at the 'low voltage reset' per others advice, both with the switch turned on and off (was not sure which way would cause the unit to reset). this did not eliminate the red led. After some research thought I had not let the system run long enough so I switched it back on, this time for approx. 1 1/2 to 2hrs (hope I have not compounded the problem), still no hot water. Not quite sure what the problem could be....low solution..filled it up..turned on switch to reheat solution...?????

Any suggestions or advice would be very appreciated before I have to call out a technician, especially if it is a fairly easy fix...fingers x'ed.

Also I have been unable to locate the electrical breaker for the hydro hot. It is not marked at the main panel in the bathroom and I am not aware of another panel in the MH.

If any other information is needed for a fix please let me know.   Momma wants some "hot water"....lol   ;D

Thanks to any and all who will take the time to respond to my dilemma.

JZ

2006 Beaver Monterey 40'

Bill Sprague

Re: Hydro Hot
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 06:16:35 PM »
I think I had that happen twice.  Once for sure.  '04 Monterey with HydroHot, not AquaHot.   (Note that it did not need, use or require boiler fluid.  The specs call for the regular stuff.  Later models needed boiler fluid.)

The for sure was when the element burned out from old age.  After you use a meter to see if there is 120 getting to the element, you can pull the wires off and you can check the element with a meter.  Draining the fluid first is the hardest part.  With the right socket from the water heater department at Home Depot you can get the old one out without too much frustration.  Once out, you can go back to Home Depot and get an identically sized element, replace it and put the fluid back in.

You may have a drain plug in the bottom.  They are "supposed to".  Mine didn't so I had to disconnect a hose and trick the pump into pumping into a bucket. 

The other time is more vague.  I recall that when the (red) over temp button melted the HydroHot quit.  That one is easy to replace.  No draining required.
The following users thanked this post: John Ziomek

John Ziomek

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 09:44:35 PM »
Thank You Mr. Bill Sprague for your sage advice and suggestions.

I was contemplating Bill's suggestions when my cell rang. Not recognizing the number I started not to answer.....WOW what a big mistake that would have been!!!!

A gentleman introduced himself and after a few minutes we began talking about my hydro issue.  After a few questions (by George) and answers by me (John) George diagnosed the problem and supplied the remedy for the fix...here it is (at least one way) for anyone in the future who may have a similar issue:

low tank level led is on (red)
refill tank to proper level...if led is still red, chances are the float valve is stuck.
The float valve is located at the upper left side of the hydro facing the bay, pretty much in line with the tank cap for the fluid.

Remove the tank cap and either stick you finger or a screw driver in the hole and GENTLY wiggle or move the float to loosen it:
the led should go out and you are back in business. Keep in mind this was the issue in this particular case.
Went inside turned on the switch and had warm water within 30minutes...very hot water within an hour.

I can't begin to thank Mr. George from Oklahoma, who by the way is vacationing in Florida for taking the time to read my post, then look up my number and call with the solution to my problem.

One of the reasons we had joined BAC via FMCA was the many stories we had read about members reaching out to help other members.

Well I'm here to tell you   "It's the real deal".

I hope sometime in the future I will be able to offer my assistance to someone in need and carry on the caring and helpful attitude that Mr. George from Oklahoma showed towards us.
Many, many Thanks!!!

2006 Beaver Monterey 40'
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson, Bill Lampkin

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 12:40:19 AM »
 It is superb that you got the help you needed. I would be lost without all the knowledge of these Beaver folks.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 01:16:20 AM »
Did you “reset” by turning the diesel switch off for a minute, then back on?  The electric switch is not for resetting the control module, just the diesel switch.  Just for future reference.  Glad George could help!

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Harold and Gloria Skipworth

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 10:19:22 PM »
In my 05 Monterey the circuit breaker for the hydrohot is located in the main distribution panel above the battery tray.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 03:16:49 PM »
John,
If you are on 50A shore power, you don't need the Aqua Hot for hot water. Turn on the electric element (you can have them..the Aqua Hot and the electric element on at the same time) and the electric element will heat enough water overnight for two full showers of hot water in the morning. The switch for the electric element is right next to the diesel burner switch after the engine pre-heat switch, under the kitchen counter.

Keep in mind, you don't have to have the generator running or shore power of any amperage to run the Aqua Hot. It requires 12V to start and then everything else is mechanical. You do need the generator or shore power for the electric water heater element. When its running (heating water) it uses 11 amps as shown on my Aladdin screen.

Hope this helps.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad