Author Topic: used parts  (Read 9128 times)

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
used parts
« on: February 28, 2020, 04:52:27 AM »
Hi Folks,
about a week ago my wife opened the lower right door on our Norcold 1200 fridge and the door fell on her foot! Nothing broken but she has been limping a bit.  Apparently these doors have a very weak hinge on the bottom and once it splits apart from the plastic frame there is no way to fix it. A new one is over $500.00 but Visone RV Parts in Kentucky had some used ones they harvested from the damaged RV's they acquire. It was still $400.00 but we had one delivered to our site in California in a week. I have bought parts from this company in the past and they have been reliable and and dependable.
Check out https://rvparts.visonerv.com/ if you need some discontinued parts for your coach.
 Oh and take a peek at the lower corner hinge where the plate screws into the door frame on your Norcold 1200 fridges and keep your feet out of the way if it looks cracked.
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: used parts
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 10:43:32 AM »
Is this an 05 Norcold?  If so might it not be prudent to go to a residential?  Costco usually has a couple that at least look like they might fit.  A Whirlpool and a Samsung.  Our 07 came with a residential and havent missed the RV version at all.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 02:15:33 PM »
The same door on our fridge fell off a few years ago - the plastic on the door broke, near the lower-right hinge on the lower-right door.  The fridge is a Norcold 1200 LRIM.  I "fixed" it by drilling holes and installing two bolts through the door.  Until I read your post, I had forgotten all about it.  Anyways, after several years the "fix" is still holding.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 03:19:58 AM »
I did the same thing that David did about 10 years ago and you would never know it. Cost was only my time. It is easy once you figure out how to do it and get (or make) an appropriate bracket. Repair does not show visually.

Larry
Larry Fritz

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 06:05:36 AM »
Good suggestion . I should have consulted you guys earlier. Oh well working fine now and I do like the fridge. My Aquahot register is directly below and I do not want to relocate to accommodate a residential fridge/ Also has the best ice maker I have ever experienced. Much nicer cubes than my fridge at home.
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 01:54:40 PM »
Good suggestion . I should have consulted you guys earlier. Oh well working fine now and I do like the fridge. My Aquahot register is directly below and I do not want to relocate to accommodate a residential fridge/ Also has the best ice maker I have ever experienced. Much nicer cubes than my fridge at home.

Dwight,
Last September we changed our Norcold 1200LRIMSS to a Samsung residential. There is a Hydro Hot register directly below it, which we left in place. We did lose the two drawers.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 02:00:27 PM by Stan Simpson »
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 01:44:36 PM »
Stan
What's with all the clamps are you installing a new inner wall or repairing outter wall delamination
Inquiring minds what to know  lol
And the two drawer removal looks good you must have had to build a structure to support the weight of the new fridge how'd that go .
Thanks Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 03:27:45 PM »
Eric,
When we removed the Norcold, we found water damage on the inside of the outside wall, so the clamps are holding the replacement. Yes, we built a new floor for the Samsung. I didn't do this work. (I supervised - haha) It was done by Budget Truck & Auto in Janesville, WI. They have a certified Aqua Hot tech, and are a leading body shop for large touring coaches.

We traveled from home to Florida and back, end of Nov to end of March, and the Samsung RF18 performed perfectly. We left the vent door on the side of the coach to have access, and I have checked it thoroughly since we got home. No evidence of water. The vent is now completely sealed, and we are thinking the water got behind the old fridge when we had the coach power washed from time to time at Blue Beacon.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 04:01:47 PM »
   Stan,
Glad to hear you are happy with your Samsung RF-18, sure puts a smile on my Brides face. For our forum readers out there who still have a Norcold 1200lrim you may do well to inspect the condensation drain hose that comes from the defrost tray inside under the cooling fins. When they are older than 15 years, they are inclined to leak on the refer floor. To inspect just pour some water into the tray and look behind the exterior vent on the floor. Another source is the 1/4" water line to the icemaker solenoid valve are notorious for micro pin holes.
   I sure am getting anxious to motor on down the highway! Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 07:44:11 PM »
Fred
Good point about the drain tube I should look at mine I've already had the ice maker line blow out so it's been done.
I'm not that familiar with the Not cold 1200 size wise I sounded how the dimensions compare with the Domestic 7832 side by side in my coach, it's 23 years old and although I've installed a fridge defender time is still rocking
The whole residential fridge thing my be a good option but I'm not sure whether I want to lose the 4 drawers under the fridge or weather I should try to run on off my Magnum ME 2012 as it's not a true sign wave inverter.
And then there's the whole boon docking idea doers the res fridge draw enough to make a difference when boon docking.
Again great advise Fred thanks
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 09:17:53 PM »
Eric,

We have a Xantrex 3012 PSW inverter. I would not recommend a residential fridge on a modified sine wave unit, although you should keep in mind that I am completely at a loss regarding anything electrical. I recommend you do your own research.  For information. When we park to boon-dock for a night, we run the generator for a bit (because the inverter has been on since we pulled the shore power at our last RV park) to charge up the house batteries. When we shut if off, we can usually run these things until the next morning on the inverter.
TV, satellite dish, two computers, two charging stations, two C-pap machines, refrigerator, and all of the miscellaneous draws from equipment.

As soon as I start the coffee the next morning, the AGS runs the generator until the coffee is done.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Michael Castro

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 12:32:03 AM »
Hi Everyone, just a FYI, the RV dismantler in Kentucky is not customer friendly.  I have given them deposits for various parts for my RV, and had to cancel because they were not sent in a timely fashion...   

Mike Shumack

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 01:02:25 PM »
Eric,

We have a Xantrex 3012 PSW inverter. I would not recommend a residential fridge on a modified sine wave unit...

My coach has the Xantrex RV2512 Inverter (which is modified sine wave) and my coach "came from the factory" with a residential refrigerator.
But a true sine wave inverter is certainly better - especially with sensitive electronics like a computer.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 02:05:04 PM »
    From my understanding about Samsung, RF-18 refers prior to 2017 don't seem to have an issue with modified sine-wave inverters. They changed their electronics engineering after that year and that was when stuff started to happen. Apparently the newer refers will run for a month or two and then the square sine wave stresses something. Samsung is pretty hush-hush about it and for a time they recommended not to install them in RV's. All that went away in late 2018. Since that time, all my installs with pure sine wave inverters have worked without any issues. 
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 05:08:39 PM »
Fred installed our RF-18 in 2016 and  we've had no problems to date with a modified sine wave magnum inverter. That said, the vast majority of the time it is powered by the generator or shore power. The Quartzsite rally is about the longest stretch we run on battery, as we do most of our traveling in the summer and need the ACs for comfort.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks