Author Topic: Fault Codes  (Read 2010 times)

gary_curtis

Fault Codes
« on: March 04, 2020, 01:29:48 AM »
I found these fault codes when I selected the ABS sub-menu on the Aladdin Display:

SPN 1045 FMI 7
End of list

Where can I find the meaning of these?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Fault Codes
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 03:15:17 AM »
After a GOOGLE search and finding several references, it appears the code is referring to a low voltage condition on "brake light switch #1."  In the irv2 Roadmaster Chassis forum, two suggestions were made.

1. Check the tire sizes on each axle.  The tires on both ends of the same axle must be the same size.  Tire sizes may vary from one axle to another, but all tires on the same axle must be the same size.
2. Check the electrical connections, especially the ground connections, pertaining to the brake lights.

2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

gary_curtis

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 11:46:44 AM »
Thanks David!

That gives me something to go on. There is a low battery condition. 

On an 8 hour drive from noon to eight as it got dark I turned on the headlights. I don't think the headlights were as bright as they should have been and after a few hours the low battery condition displayed on the Aladdin display. By then I was parked safely in my driveway.  I don't think that the alternator is working well enough to keep up with the headlights.

when I start the engine the volt meter moves slightly toward 13 volts... it should usually be at least 13.5 volts.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 02:33:57 PM »
I didn't know the Aladdin system can display fault codes. My 2005 doesn't (so I use the ScanGauge D monitor). I guess you have a later model/software version on your Aladdin.

I found this code chart (specific to Caterpillar engines it appears).  https://lnx.numeralkod.com/wordpress/docs/errors-index/suspect-parameter-numbers-spn/

It mentions that a code SPN1045 is related to "tire air pressure" on the drive axle. If I'm reading this correctly, it would appear that unequal air pressure between the tire on the same axle (Drive in this case) can set a code. That seems reasonable as a deflated tire will not have the same "distance traveled per revolution" as a fully inflated tire.

I would start by checking air pressures. If that isn't the problem, then my next guess would be a faulty ABS wheel speed sensor.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 04:11:45 AM »
As a new member, Gary, you may not be familiar with what comes up regularly about alternators on this Forum.  After a period of dry-camping (no hookups), many owners simply start the engine and leave.  This means the alternator has to charge harder than it was designed to in order to bring the house batteries up to snuff, when it’s really only meant to keep the chassis set charged.  The overworked alternator is often not long for this world as a result.

Always run the generator for awhile after dry camping, and recover the house batteries that way before starting the engine; try to get at least beyond Bulk Charge and into the Absorb Charge stage. A new alternator isn’t inexpensive.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat