Author Topic: Engine Diagnosis  (Read 2317 times)

Dennis Belfils

Engine Diagnosis
« on: March 08, 2020, 03:09:40 PM »
Ok, I have searched & checked all the manuals I have, but still cannot find out how to use the engine diagnostic switch to obtain flash codes on our rig. All the manual says is it is used for engine diagnosis. Have been getting a Check Engine & Engine Warning light randomly after a 5 minute idle & occasionally pulling a grade. Seems to be occurring when ambient temperatures are in the high 70's & up.  All levels & temps appear to be Ok. Would like to know more about it before going to Cat. Thanx
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 03:18:00 PM by Dennis Belfils »

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Engine Diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 03:54:58 PM »
Dennis, I have posted on Ask Dave in Technical area of BAC Forum that explains how to use the blink codes . If you are having issues
I can assist you with your engine. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 04:41:25 PM »
Thanx Dave for the quick response. I will give the Cruise Control method you suggest a try. Can you tell me what the switch labelled Engine Diag on the left drivers' panel is used for? Can send a pic if needed.

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 04:51:31 PM »
Also, does that method apply to a Smart Steering Wheel?

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 06:22:27 PM »
Dave. Was able to use both the steering wheel & the engine diagnosis to retrieve codes. One of them was 46-low oil pressure. The Aladdin readout said 0 PSI, but the dash gauge reads normal, just past have the way mark & goes up with increased RPM. The other codes were 57 - Trans derate, & 25 - inlet air sensor. Since the engine/trans is in derate mode, what can we do?

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 08:10:52 PM »
Dennis

I also have a 2006 Beaver with the C9.  The C9 has 2 oil pressure sending units.  It looks like one of yours has failed (the one that reports to the ECM).   I had the same thing happen to me on a trip a few years ago.  Both sending units are located in the same area (about half-way up mid-engine on the passenger side).  I had to remove brackets and supports and be a contortionist to get it changed.  The good news is there is probably nothing amiss with your engine.  Good luck on getting it changed.

Richard 
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 09:47:25 PM »
Thanx Richard. Will look into how difficult it will be to change out, worst case is that we are close to a Cat repair & can limp on down...