Author Topic: Water will not pump to faucets  (Read 7019 times)

Dennis n Heather Crawford

Water will not pump to faucets
« on: July 04, 2011, 09:05:47 AM »
I have a 2003 Monterey Newport which I acquired a couple of months ago (first Beaver). I had no water to facets and toilet so assumed fresh tank needed filling. The monitor confirmed this. I proceeded to fill until the fresh fill overflow started. Since then I only get a sputtering sound with very little water from one faucet and nothing from the other faucet or toilet. I suspect this may have something to do with letting the fresh tank run dry. I would be grateful for any suggestions as we have a planned trip starting Wednesday!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Water will not pump to faucets
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 10:19:11 AM »
Your water pump may have lost its prime, Dennis.  What you're experiencing is common for any of us bringing a coach out of winter storage, esp. if the system was blown out and no RV antifreeze was used when winterizing.  I usually just let the pump run with one faucet open for awhile, and eventually water gets to the pump and beyond.  I've never had to do it, but one could conceivably remove the inlet hose at the pump and put a little water in, then reconnect to get things going.  But since you're hearing sputtering and getting a little water, you shouldn't have to do that.

The other thing that could be fouling you up is if the coach water system drain valves are still open from the last winterization;  make sure those valves are closed, or else you'll be pumping water onto the ground before it gets to the fixtures.  Also, I'm not familiar with your model year, but if your coach has a manifold block like our '06 Monterey, where all hot and cold lines converge with on/off valves (usually in the utility bay), check to be sure the needed valves there are open, so water from the pump can get to each device.  On our rig, two of our three drain valves are also on that manifold, at its bottom;  The third is near the pump.  Also check to see that if you have a "winterization kit" installed (usually near the pump), its on/off valve is closed;  otherwise you'll be drawing air through that line to nowhere, and the pump can't get vacuum to the water tank.

-Joel  
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 10:29:33 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 01:10:52 PM »
Make sure that the fresh water fill is closed as this will cause the problem of no pressurefrom the pump.

George Harwell

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 03:08:16 PM »

The most likely culprit is the outside shower. If the valves are open the water circulates instead of powering up the water manifold. If all else fails and you have to replace the water pump be sure to get the Shurflo REVOLUTION  as it is a direct replacement for your pump, produces 55 psi and isn't noisy. Runs around $89/99. Call me if I can help get the coach ready for your trip.

George Harwell
03 Monterey 800495
405 642 0389

Happy 4th and welcome to the club!

Dennis n Heather Crawford

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 11:32:13 PM »
Again, many thanks to all of you for your prompt and very helpful replies. The fresh water fill valve was the problem but what confused the hell out of me was that whoever had the coach before me had put the knob on wrong way round. When it was supposed to indicate on in fact the valve was off and vice versa. I suppose the price you pay for a pre-owned coach.
A final word. The best thing we have recently done was to buy the Beaver, the next, to join BAC. Thank You All.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 12:34:37 AM »
Hey Dennis, happy 4th and welcome to the club. I too appreciate all our Beaver friends. They are all very helpful when you're in a pickle. Hope you enjoy your coach as much as we do ours!
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 12:50:48 AM »
Yes I kinda figured that was your problem, because I have forgotten to close my fill valve numerous times, after filling the tank.  Just another senior moment for me.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 05:18:17 AM by 14 »

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 12:30:03 AM »
Hey Dennis, I bet you saved $100K on that pre-owned coach so a knob being on backwards still leaves you with $99K in savings  :)