Author Topic: air compressor issue  (Read 1953 times)

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
air compressor issue
« on: March 24, 2020, 02:29:32 PM »
I have an issue with my air compressor for air leveling system running and wont shut off. Not the CAT engine compressor but one that hwh installed for my air leveling upgraded system.

I have unplugged it for the time being. not sure where to begin to troubleshooting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: air compressor issue
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 02:36:17 PM »
Laminate
You'll have to work backwards with a test light
There should be a relay for the compressor and a pressure switch to operate the relay.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 03:12:31 PM »
LaMonte,
To troubleshoot your issue, you just need to determine if your problem is caused by one of three conditions. Either you have a leak that is causing the compressor to not be able to generate enough air pressure to satisfy the pressure switch to cut off the compressor, the pressure switch or relay is malfunctioning and the compressor is over pressurizing the system, or the compressor is defective and not able to generate the required air pressure. Most of this can be determined by watching the air pressure gauge on the dash for leak down speed after the compressor is cut off, and air pressure levels when the compressor is running. You may need to also visually inspect (soap and water spray bottle) the compressor output line to be sure that there is not a leak before the pressure switch.

Gerald 

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 04:04:17 PM »
LaMonte,
I had same issue recently in our 07 Contessa (Valid/Power Gear system). I disconnected the compressor to tank air line and put an air gauge on the compressor output. Found it only put out about 70 PSI. I replaced the compressor with a Viair  200 PSI unit and no more problems. The Viar might be a bit of overkill but it pressurizes the tank quickly and was less than 1/2 the price of the $400 Thomas OEM unit. I had to modify the mounting and route the 12v supply thru a relay controlled by the check valve.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp