Author Topic: Entertainment system Sony DAV-C450  (Read 1837 times)

George Harwell

Entertainment system Sony DAV-C450
« on: March 24, 2020, 10:11:13 PM »
Age and rough roads finally got to the old SONY entertainment system. Coach was built Nov 02 so it was ready for retirement. Would like to find a receiver with the built in DVD player. My system is 5.1 so guess I will try to stay with that. Looking for recommendations from all that have upgraded to newer equipment. Thanks and be safe, hard not to want to be outside all the time.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Entertainment system Sony DAV-C450
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 11:07:57 PM »
When our front home theater was updated in 2016 the installer used a Sony BDV-E3100.  We also updated the front and bedroom TVs;  the new 32” bedroom one is an LG smart tv, and the front is a 40” Sony that’s not smart but less expensive, because it’s fed by the smart home theater unit. There’s probably a newer version of each available now, but the same principles apply.  With reasonable prices now I might instead go with a smart tv up front as it would be a smidge more convenient when I don’t need the home theater on.  The installer simply wired the existing Bose speakers into the new unit, and we stored away the ones that came with the BDV-E3100 as (argueably) they likely aren’t as good as the Bose, esp. the subwoofer.

The only other issue is we liked the old 2006 era Sony home theater’s 6-disk abilities, so favorite music discs could be kept at the ready in 5 slots while a movie was playing in the 6th.  It seems most systems today have gotten away from multidisc capability.  The new Sony, not being multi disk, is thinner than the old, and takes up less room in the often too hot overhead cabinet, so circulation is better.  It also has, like the TVs, HDMI ports that older systems did not.  That makes for potentially fewer wires in the snake pit up there.

RV Outfitters in Bend did a great job consulting, modifying woodwork, and installing.  If you are looking only to simply swap out the home theater receiver/player, and already have updated TVs, check for Sony’s at Costco’s often best prices.  If you are keeping much older TVs and other A/V equipment, bear in mind that newer products often don’t have the old media outputs.  You don’t want to go to do the swap and find the cables won’t work.

Joel
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 11:16:39 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Andrew Shoen

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 11:16:16 PM »
   Hi George,
  I am surprised it lasted that long. I have install many Samsung HT-J4500 5.1 blu-ray player/home theater systems in place of the Sony. They no longer make it but there are still some around if you shop. You can use the sony speakers already in place along with the sub. You can run an HDMI cable from your TV (make sure it is plugged into the one that says "ARC") . That way what ever the TV is playing, the home theater will play thru the speakers. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Robin Goffrier

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 05:58:37 PM »
George, the entertainment center DVD on our 06 Thunder flipped out.  On the back side of the unit were all the surround sound and sub woofer plugs.  I wanted to keep the existing speakers and wiring and none of the newer replacement options made that particularly appealing.  So I looked on eBay and found a refurbished unit identical to mine.  Everything plugged in and works just like new. Cost me about $100.