Author Topic: Fuel source for Hurricane Heater  (Read 3505 times)

Bruce Sevier

• BAC Member
Fuel source for Hurricane Heater
« on: March 26, 2020, 09:45:47 PM »
The Hurricane Heater on my 1999 Marquis cannot draw fuel from the fuel tank.  There appears to be a air leak in the fuel line at or near the top of the tank.  To avoid having to drop the fuel tank for repairs, a suggested fuel source is to tap into the fuel line for the generator.  So which line should I T-into, the fuel in hose or the fuel return hose for the generator?
I've tried to search the Forum for a possible solution but had no success.  If there are previous posts regarding this problem let me know how to find them.  I also appreciate your last responses to my previous posts.
Thanks
Bruce
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 10:07:17 PM by Bruce Sevier »
Bruce Sevier
99 Marquis

Gerald Farris

Re: Fuel source for Hurricane Heater
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 03:12:55 PM »
Bruce,
The location that is most prone to allowing air into the Hurricane fuel supply line is the connections at the inline fuel filter that is located on the outside of the Hurricane compartment towards the center of the coach. However, if you are sure that that is not your leak, and you need to run a new fuel line, the generator supply line is the best location to use. Do not use the generator fuel return line.

Gerald 
The following users thanked this post: Bruce Sevier

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 03:48:37 PM »
   Bruce, When I bought my coach in 2014, I found over $1200 in repairs from 3 different repair shops trying to repair the hurricane heater. It did not work for me either. When I changed the fuel filter (wrong size diameter) it started working as designed. The Hurricane was sucking air at the fuel filter. It is located on the backside of the Hurricane compartment. As Gerald suggests, I would look there first, hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bruce Sevier

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 10:08:17 PM »
Thanks Gerald and Fred for your responses. 

Prior to writing the original post the Hurricane heater would flame out. At your suggestions, I did replace the fuel filter and tighten the hose clamps that seemed loose, but still had the flame out problem.  Ultimately I called the folks at Rixen Enterprises and they patiently walked me through troubleshooting the system emphasizing intake air leaks.  Ultimately at their suggestion I had the heater running from a remote fuel tank. But when I connected to the fuel IN line it would stop running.  So I hooked up a vacuum oil drain tank to the fuel line at the filter.  I would get fuel coming through the line but it always had air.  This indicates there is a air leak in the hose going to the fuel tank. So I ran a hose to the generator fuel lines and that lead me to the original question about which line to T into. Gerald you were correct and I T-d into the fuel IN line for the generator and the generator and heater both work individually and at the same time.  Since the fuel pumps on the generator and Hurricane heater act as one way valves connecting to the IN line prevents sucking fuel from the generator or Hurricane heater.  I am guessing if I had connected to the fuel OUT line on the generator the pressure in that line could force fuel through the Hurricane heater when it is off and I can only assume fuel would run all over the place.

So, I really do appreciate your replies.  I can theorize all day long about this problem, but I needed your suggestions to confirm my thoughts before I did something I should have not done.

Bruce
Bruce Sevier
99 Marquis
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 03:44:53 PM »
Bruce,
The reason that you should not tie into the generator fuel return for a fuel supply source is that the return line does not terminate at the same level in the tank as the generator supply line, but it terminates close to the top of the tank, so if you used it as a supply source, you would just draw air instead of fuel.

There is a different modification to the fuel system that many Hurricane owners have done to solve the problem of occasional air in the fuel causing a flame out. That is to install a fuel return hose to the system. To do this, you install a 1/32 inch orifice or smaller in the fuel air bleed hose and run it to the generator fuel return hose. Then you open the air bleed valve and leave it open so that a small amount of fuel along with any air will be returned to the tank, giving the Hurricane an air free fuel source.

Gerald

Bruce Sevier

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 10:27:16 PM »
Gearld

I had wondered about the return line being shorter in the tank to draw air.  Thanks for the insight

Regarding the bleeder on the Hurricane heater, mine does not have a tube or hose fitting it just squirts air and fuel all over the place when it is open.  Cannot see the opening but it is quite small so if it had a tube it is broken off.  The folks at Rixens offered a similar suggestion to yours regarding a bleeder hose, but the air leak in my intake hose is so great that once it starts sucking air into the system the pump stops pumping even with the bleeder open.

I might also add that I did replace the fuel pump with a new one which may or may not have been a problem.
The old pump is a Purolator PRO #12s which I think is a Facet, but not sure if this is the original.
The new pump is a Facet NAPA Balkamp 610-2001.

Bruce
Bruce Sevier
99 Marquis

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 03:54:34 AM »
Bruce, Have you tried pinching off the fuel line before the filter and applying some air pressure to find out where the leak is? I assume from your posts that the fuel tank is not easy to get at?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 05:35:09 AM »
Lee,
The fuel tank on the 99 Marquis is located between the frame rails above the front axle. The only thing that is serviceable on the fuel tank without a major project is the fuel level sending unit that is in the side of the tank.

Gerald

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 05:45:25 AM »
Gerald, Yeah from the posts I figured that the fuel tank was not where you could get at it. I guess I'm spoiled as mine is in the first basement bay and all the way across with easy access to all the lines and fittings.

Keith George

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 05:46:35 AM »
reading this subject as my hurricane flames out randomly i believe it was low battery voltage (bad battery & charging issue i'm still working on). just a thought on the drawing of air into the fuel system I believe the tank has higher pick up tubes for the generator & hurricane. should you leave the heater or the generator running they may run out of fuel well before the tank is empty leaving you plenty of fuel to drive the motor home. I think its 1/3 of a tank on our 2000 patriot don't remember who told me this and i have not tested it. just mentioning it as it made sense to me.
Keith     

Gerald Farris

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 04:13:09 PM »
Keith,
The fuel pick-up for your Hurricane and generator are at 1/4 tank level. From my experience with Beaver coaches, this has very rarely been an issue since virtually all owners operate on the top 50% of their fuel tank, especially when dry camping.

Gerald