Author Topic: VMS-II information parameters  (Read 1935 times)

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
VMS-II information parameters
« on: March 29, 2020, 11:44:56 PM »
Hello,
   I replaced the MAG ID with a VMS-II. I have lost a handful of display parameters that the VMS II calls out for but doesn't display: oil pressure, EGT, intake air temperature and one more that forgot to write down.
 Does the Cat 3126B  not pass 100% of it's information to the VMS II?  I believe the old MAG ID did supply this information. I can tell you that the VMS II is a huge leap in functionality compare to the MAG.
My hat is off to  Mark at Silverleaf and  John at Colaw RV Salvage for great customer service.
My coach is 2500 mile away from me so it will be a while before I can do any tests, FYI.

Thank you in an advance for all replies.
Jeff
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: VMS-II information parameters
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 12:51:02 AM »
Jeff that sounds like a programming issue
( I don't think the 3126B has an EGT sensor it just measures turbo boost and intake air temp)
The VMS should show you the same paramitters the old Magnum did.
I'd give them a call back and see if they can help you through it.
Good luck
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 12:53:18 AM »
You wont have EGT but the other sensors you mentioned you listed should be getting pickup by the VMS.

If you cant get what you want with the Silver Leaf product, look into the Scan Gauge D"  https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-d/
It plugs into the engine diagnostic connector and provides all the engine data available (displays 4 parameters at a time). it also reads/displays fault codes.

it's about the half the size as the VMS display and cost around $150.

EDIT - Eric beat me to the answer.

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 05:50:21 PM »
Eric and Mike thank you for the responses. I'll dig into it once I'm back with the coach.
Stay safe out there everyone.

Jeff
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 01:21:18 PM »
Gentlemen,
Aftermarket scan gauges yes are nice for some things but way too much faith is used in determining problems. The amount of information is provided from a Caterpillar program systems called Messenger. Yes there is a message of problem and gives out a fault code, this is great but what it does not do is break out the fault code to understand what is happening. Each fault code if active or just an event happening has several areas; is the problem is a replacement of part, dirty or loose connection, high voltage count or low voltage.
Many fault codes are caused by a mechanical problem and chase problem to different areas that one would think replacement of part that is electrical problem. I run into this misunderstanding many times troubleshooting problems using a Caterpillar service tool called Cat ET. Your code reader or scan gauge kinda lets you know the problem is present and that’s about it. In closing, your caterpillar engine  has fail safe systems in place to prevent problems via power reductions or engine derate . Good examples are event code 173-0 High Exhaust Temperature or event code 173-11 Extreme Exhaust Temperature, Both of these event codes break down to be operating by lugging engine below 1400 rpms with caterpillar 3126 A model through caterpillar C-9 with the HEUI injection system.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:26:10 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
The following users thanked this post: Larry Fritz, Jeff Johnson