Author Topic: Tire Cracking  (Read 2903 times)

Adam Hicklin

Tire Cracking
« on: March 31, 2020, 08:43:45 AM »
So...new tires were planned for this spring (as soon coronageddon is over) I noticed some cracking on the outside rear passenger tire, which gets the most exposure.  My problem is my tire place is about 100 miles away.  Is this cracking too severe to drive 100 miles? Tires are 7 years old.  10,000 miles.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Tire Cracking
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 01:51:14 PM »
Adam the tires do look bad to me.
 I was attending a rally a few years ago in Hemit, CA and our rally master Jim and Natasha had a tire service join us called Pete's they did a wonderful mobile service for 10-15 rigs.  https://www.petesrs.com/locations/  at the time the pricing was very fair and the technicians they provided are pro's.  It's just a thought 
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 04:19:44 PM »
Adam,
I would not be afraid to drive those tires 100 miles because of the cracking that was in your pictures, but be sure that they are properly inflated first.

Gerald

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 04:24:37 PM »
 Adam,

Those cracks are not normal uv damage.  I would recommend a mobile tire service.  Good luck, Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 05:21:20 PM »
Call your tire company.  Truck tires may be an "essential business" and they may want some mobile work.   If you aren't going anywhere for awhile, the tire company may enjoy having some scheduling options for their mobile crew.   

You might also consider that the supply chain may get a little "wrapped around the axle" as we go forward and it could get harder to get the tires. 

If a service truck comes, keep your distance.  Stay away from people!!

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 05:32:23 PM »
Three years ago I bought a motorhome that had 9 year old Toyo's on it with cracks just like yours. I  checked tire pressures and drove about 140 miles home doing 55mph in the right lane on the freeway. I had no problems. Next day it had new tires on it. Marty

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 02:50:45 AM »
Dont forget to check with FMCA for the discount.  Good luck!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 01:13:33 PM »
Looks a bit scary. Recommend you purchase tires online and have them delivered to you.... then have someone local install them.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 06:30:41 PM »
Many tire company's allow some tire cracking .
With that said tire cracking or weather checking is caused by the ozone in the air deteriorating the rubber .
The tires have oils or amuliates in them to protect the rubber from the effects of ozone the problem is that these oils only move to the surface when the vehicle is driven regularly and washing with soap will remove them on motorhomes which are stored for long periods of time the oils dissapate and the ozone attacks the rubber.
The manufacture of these tires allow some weather cracking as the deterioration of the outter rubber is not the issue.
The problem come from the fact that once the outter rubber has cracked the inner carcass of the tire which is made of many belt of a canvas  or steel are exposed. the damage that is created when these materials start to rot or deteriorate weakens the tire and eventually leads to a catastrophic  failure ( blow out).
You might very well have no problem getting the coach home but as most coaches are heavily loaded from the factory  it is a risk.
It's a call you have to make on your own.
As a mechanic of 40 years it's not a call I am comfortable with these tires have to be replaced sooner or later and you might just as well do it now dollar wise it's a lot cheaper than the damage caused by a blow out.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.