Author Topic: Steps  (Read 2522 times)

Bill Dowden

• BAC Member
Steps
« on: March 31, 2020, 10:31:37 PM »
My steps quit going in and out.
Have been parked since January, started motor last week, steps went in but would not go back out.
Any ideas will be appreciated.  Need to head back to Idaho soon and working steps would be nice.
Thanks
2009 Marquis Amethyst
Cat C15

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Steps
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 11:14:41 PM »
On the hinge side of the door jamb are a couple of brass spring-loaded contacts, see if you can't buff 'em clean w/ a pencil eraser. At least that worked on my door; 2005 Patriot Thunder.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Bill Dowden

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 01:44:34 AM »
On the jamb side of your doorway down low there should be an oval gizmo with 2 screws on the end with a round button in the middle. Pass a magnet back and forth across that several times then try closing the door. Not saying previous poster is wrong but on all 3 of my Beavers THIS controlled the steps and the other was for the electric door lock. Marty

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 02:45:54 AM »
Bill
IMHO Marty and Bill are both right.  Clean those contacts is good if it's been awhile.  Turn on the dash NM switch for the steps and pass a magnet over the switch on the jamb at the top and the bottom.  There is another u der heath on the step frame that I believe acts as a limit switch so it shuts down when fully retracted.
I just had to fix ours but the slides were rusted and needed lube so it went in but came out cockeyed.  I bought spray graphite lube at Oreilies auto and sprayed all the double slide tracks and pivot joints and the flat gear on the motor.  Works like a champ now!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 03:58:31 AM »
This has happened to us too.  Don't know what fixed it, but did a combinstion of the step button by the door and key on and off and it fixed itself.  Sometimes when we close the door too softly the steps retract.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 01:24:24 PM »
Check the connections in the plug under the step control box ( square black connector) a bad connection in that connector was the problem on mine.
The plug is a bear to get apart and when I put mine back together I used a tie strap to make sure it was tight it's been working well now for over a year.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 02:06:20 PM »
This happened to us every time we drove in the rain. The bouncing of the coach, along with moisture, affected the ground wire under the step. After tightening it down a few times, and it still happening, I found a differenct place to attach it, drilled a hole, and connected the ground wire with loctite. Has not been a problem since.

The ground wire on my SCS/Lippert steps is green and comes out of the control box under the step. Be careful. If you are under there, make sure you have clearance. You don't want it to suddenly actuate and damage your fingers. 
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 02:17:52 PM »
    Bill, What year, make and model coach do you have? Can you add that to your profile so we can assist. Thanks Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bill Dowden

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 04:44:39 PM »
2009 Marquis C15 cat Amethyst
2009 Marquis Amethyst
Cat C15

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 06:01:57 PM »
  Bill, Thanks for the update. In the door jamb you will find 4 spring loaded brass push button switches. They are used for the step operation, entry light, ect. Make sure they are not stuck depressed and making good contact with the entry door buttons.
   If you can raise the coach safely and block it so you can get under it, check the green 10 gauge wire for a good ground connection to the frame. Look for a 4 wire plug with red 10 gauge, yellow 14 gauge, white 14 gauge. and brown 14 gauge. The red 10 gauge is the main power source (12 volt) yellow is ignition over-ride, white is step switch at the entry door and the brown is the trigger to open or close the step. CAUTION: the scissor assembly that extends and retracts can chop your finger off so be careful. If you can remove the pin, extend the step and remove the motor. Using jumper wires from a battery or charger, hot wire the motor and see if it works. If no joy, replace the motor. If the motor works, reinstall and all will work as before. (you have relocated the commutator to a new location by testing it) Good luck and hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6