Author Topic: Black tank gauge question  (Read 2926 times)

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
Black tank gauge question
« on: April 03, 2020, 12:15:12 AM »
New member first questions
 Black tank reads 53% and sometimes 52%
To me this means the wiring is working but the float must be stuck
We have a 05 Monterey Ventura IV , is there a way to access the float and wiggle it loose
We filled it what we thought was 1/2 full and added 50 pounds of ice then went for a drive to try scouring it, but it didn’t knock it loose. 
What should I do Next?

Another sewer problem as well
Sewer smell by the kitchen sink, replaced the vent at the sink and the shower, both vents are in the area.

There was a leak in the sink drain pipe that I fixed first but still have the smell.
 Any help will be appreciated
 I just picked up this rig and need to fix this in order to use it
The princess refuses to go until fixed
Thanks in advance, Bob
2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
just fits in the 40' shed
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Black tank gauge question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 12:28:34 AM »
Welcome Bob, to the black arts....well, the black tank world. Here's a good video of what happens inside a black tank when one adds ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH6acEmqvcw

.All his black tank videos are worth watching too.

No float in your tank, but others may know what kind of tank sensing you have. Ours uses a small pressure sensor.

Two things to know about your black tank:
Use more water every time you flush
rinse tank after every dump (at the dump station!)

Welcome and good luck!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Bob Disney

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 12:39:45 AM »
   Bob,  Is your monitor system a "See Level" ? It should say on the face of the monitor panel. If so, the aluminum tape attached to the side of the tank has fallen off. (no floats involved, it sends an rf signal) You stated that you changed the "vent check" anti siphoning vents under the kitchen cabinet. Was there any evidence the rubber flap inside was distorted? Have you checked the flex hose for the kitchen drain, if cracked it will allow sewer odor up into the living area. Running the ceiling vents without any windows open will create a negative interior pressure and pull odors up into the living area. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 12:46:38 AM »
Both the tanks smell badly - both black and gray tanks.  The only fixture that adds to the black tank is the toilet.  If it's not sealed properly, then it could backfill your coach with odors.  That could mean the toilet is not sealed to the floor and/or not sealed at the toilet's flush point.

My guess is your smell is coming from the gray tank if the smell is most evident near a sink, shower, or the clothes washer... assuming you have a clothes washer.  In our case, we could smell odors near the kitchen and here is how we fixed it.  If you don't use the clothes washer often enough (like every week or two), then the trap under the washer drain will dry out and allow gray tank odors to backflow into the washer area.  What I do is put the washer on a rinse cycle which will introduce water into the washer and when the drain cycle turns on, it will refill the trap under the washer.  This solved our problem.

You could also simply dump a gallon of water into the washer and put the washer on the drain cycle.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks, Bob Disney

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 02:38:06 AM »
Bob

I "assume" your '05 Monterey is setup the same as my '06 and displays the tank level on the Aladdin system.  If so, your tank sensors are pressure sensors mounted into the bottom edge of the tanks.  They can be accessed through the area where the tank valves are located (difficult but possible).  I (and others) have tried removing and cleaning them with little success.  Replacement is the only viable option.  Here is a link so you can see what they look like:

http://www.nwrvsupply.com/product/16622728.html

They use a RJ11 phone cable connector.  If you replace one, you have to recalibrate the sensor through the Aladdin system.  They are problematic and repairs and replacements are expensive, so many owners have gotten used to just looking down through the stool with a flashlight to check tank levels.  After having replaced both the grey and black sensors on my tanks and calibrating them, they have worked acceptably well.  Good luck.     

Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 05:08:00 AM »
The sensor should be near the streetside bottom of the black tank, probably under/behind your water bay.  Beaver Coach replaced ours a few years ago.  The devices get clogged from the rig sitting unused for months, and the tank not being flushed well first.  Gunk dries inside the sensor port and that device is a goner.  I use my factory Sani-flush with almost every dump, and don’t leave my valve open in campsites, emptying only all at once when leaving or when the tanks are near full.

That said, the last time we were out, 3+ years ago, the sensor reading was acting up.  I emptied and flushed several times until the effluent ran clear, and then added down the toilet some Calgon Liquid Water Softener, some Tide detergent and or Dawn, and as I recall a couple bags of ice with a couple gallons of water, and made the drive between campgrounds.  Dump and flush, and it worked fine again.  It’s been okay since, even while parked here at the house, only used a few times by visiting relatives (of course followed by another dump and thorough flush.

Some report success removing and cleaning the device, but that may not be successful.  Just empty the tank (obviously), remove the RJ11 “phone” connector, and unscrew the Catcon sensor.  It works by sensing the weight of the fluid pressing on it, which is why it requires calibration for each tank size.  A tiny amount of dried gunk in some micro-spot can foul its abilities.

A new Catcon isn’t cheap for what it is:  https://shop.catconproducts.com/product.sc?productId=15&categoryId=2     or
   http://www.nwrvsupply.com/139/16622728.html

Some have happily switched to external sense technology, such as SeeLevel brand, but if you’re not into changing things too much, just switch out the Catcon and try to keep stuff from ever drying on it.

As to the smell, our shower trap gets sucked dry when the gray tank is emptied.  It shouldn’t but it does.  I just add a cup or two of water to the drain and the tank odor is gone until the next dump, and doesn’t always reappear then.  If you’ve checked or changed your undersink vent valves, the smell could be from a roof fan allowing roof vent fumes in, a dry washing machine trap, or residual effluent gunk under your floors from the pipe leak you mentioned.  Our Flex drain hose cracked and leaked kitchen sink water unseen under the stove, across under the floor tiles, and down into the Dirt Devil vacuum unit on the opposite side of the Coach.  The clue was the loose tiles, and of course the smelly, wet vacuum bags I eventually followed my nose to.

Joel
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 05:21:26 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 02:16:24 PM »
A 1/4 cup of fabric softener in your black tank before use helps coat the tank and prevents the waste products from sticking allowing the tanks to dump cleanly and you can use the center stuff for the lovely wife's delicate nose.

Do the usual drain checks for dry traps also some of the sealant toilets had an over flow drain up at the rear of the porcelain
Rim which would vent the tank into the living space .they cured the problem by changing the rubber seal between the bowl and the pedistal ( closing off the drain / vent). If you're has the drain hole up near the rim try putting a piece of duck tape over it and see if the smell stops.
Good luck
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 02:56:20 AM »
I appreciate all your help
It appears the leak that I fixed may have been the source of all the smell, just left over odors
We tried all kinds of thing, washed the area, sprayed all kinds of cleaning agents on the area.
Bleach,Lysol,you name it.
We sprinkled baking soda scrub, then scrub  again but to no avail
Then I remembered a old remedy a hill girl from Kentucky told me about. This stuff is the only thing that you can use on a skunked dog and then let em sleep on the bed that night.
I used it to clean a fridge that had sat broken and had a load of meat in it for two weeks. Still using that fridge
So I put this stuff in a spray bottle and sprayed the entire area with about six ounces of the fluid last night.
Then I went out this morning and the smell was gone. Totally gone.

So now the stuff is ....summers eve douche
Luckily I am a guy that will go into the store and buy anything
Highly recommended
Freaking awesome stuff
2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
just fits in the 40' shed
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired