Author Topic: main slide stuck halfway out and crooked  (Read 9189 times)

Paul Stark

• BAC Member
main slide stuck halfway out and crooked
« on: April 08, 2020, 06:24:43 PM »
Have a storm coming in and my wife tried to bring the slide in (high wind and rain) and it stuck with the kitchen all the way in and the living room out about halfway.  The coach is a 2005 Patriot Ticonderoga.  Looking under the slide it appears to only have a control track on the living room end.  Will not go either way.  Ideas?
We are parked 7 miles south of Quartzsite, AZ on private property, about a mile from Highway 95 to Yuma.
Paul & Wanda
2005 Monaco Patriot Ticonderoga
CAT C9 400hp
37 ft

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: main slide stuck halfway out and crooked
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 07:53:29 PM »
If you need help from someone who I believe has Beaver maintenance/repair experience, then you might call Accurate RV in Parker.  The Accurate RV main office is (or at least used to be) in Bend, OR.  I used them in Yuma a few years ago when they had their 5th wheel here while wintering and working out of Yuma.  Maybe they can get you going...

http://www.accuraterv.com/
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 07:59:22 PM »
Paul,
Have you checked your owners manual for instructions to bring slide in manually? Attached is the page of interest.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell, Andrew Shoen, Paul Stark

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 09:27:14 PM »
I spoke with Ty Kelly about phone Service support  (855) 478-1470  give them a call be sure to tell the girls you have an emergency or ask for Sean who may be working from home if anyone can help you Beaver Coach Sales will be able to help.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13
The following users thanked this post: Paul Stark

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 10:04:16 PM »
Paul
How did you make out
Do you know what model of system you have
If it is an HWH I may be able to help you troubleshot the system
But for now if you release the control valves as stated in the manual you should be able to manually push the slide back in
If it is racked that badly it may be difficult the get to move initially .
Start by pushing the kitchen side back out to help take the rack out of the room then once you have it even again push the whole room in evenly this may require several people to push and be careful not to push on the out side flange areas.
 But first look around for hydraulic leaks you don't want to push it back in if you have a blowin hydraulic line unit you contain the spilled oil.
It would appear from you description that there has been a malfunction with the anti rack valve or cylinder.
I am HWH factory trained and have a set of manuals to help troubleshoot the problem.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 11:59:19 PM »
Eric, Paul never said what happened when he hit the slide button, did the pump run or just a click or nothing. I didn't know there was a anti-rack device in these units. My 06 Patriot Thunder has accumulators to equalize the rams.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 12:12:44 AM »
 Hi Paul,
   How did that work after I talked with you. I did finally receive the other photos. As it states in the sheet that Steve sent, once you remove the reservoir cap, the hex opening in the cap end fits the 1/4" nuts on the end of the solenoids. Loosen all 4 of them 4 1/2 turns to release the pressure in the slide out cylinders. Either turn the 3/4" drive nut in your photo to retract the room or get 4 to 6 men to push the room in. Sorry it is storming, Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Paul Stark

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 01:29:03 AM »
Okay, I had to go get some tools (60 miles roundtrip).  I released 4 release nuts on the Hydraulic pump.  Not sure if I got the reservoir cap off as if can't see the top of the reservoir, there are two nuts on the top (see attachment).  No luck with the end of the shaft that has a nut on it (tried a breaker bar and also tried a 1/2 in impact wrench).  No luck with a pipe wrench on the other end.

the reason I'm not sure about the reservoir cap is that the two bolts look like they might be caps for some kind of reservoir, but neither looks like the cap in the manual, i.e., with a release nut wrench?

Paul & Wanda
CAT C9 400hp
37 ft

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 01:35:18 AM »
Lee
In the HWH system with twin cylinders they used either a attacking cable or a sycronizing cylinder the synchronizing cylinder can be identified by the shaft that sticks out the end of it and number of hoses connected to it usually three with one of those in the center of the cylinder this system actually uses valving inside the sync cylinder to balance pressures on the two cylinders.
If the room can be manually moved all the way to the stowed position or the out position the valves could be close again and if you run the pump up against the stall for two or three seconds and then move the room out about six inches and back closed and against the stall again several times .this should equalize the sync cylinder.
Then move the room all the way out and repeat the same procedure and all should be good.
Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 02:05:30 AM »
Lee
In my earlier post it was supposed to read that HWH used either a anti racking valve or a sycronizing cylinder
Instead somehow the auto correct on this thing turn that into attaching cable.
Sorry for the confusion.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 02:44:08 AM »
Eric, Interesting, how does a anti-racking valve, keep the slide from racking?

Paul Stark

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 03:04:42 AM »
Okay, about my 4th time crawing under the front of the coach, I actually frount the reservior cap and opened it.  Went through trying to move the slide again, same results.

Eric
I'm sure the hydralic system is a HWH system, can't get into a position to find a model/sn, but we had the HWH system on another coach (see correct pictures attached).  We would really like to get to a slide in position as we were planning on heading to home tomorrow after my wife quits work.  She took Friday off and her shift ends at 3pm, have to travel over weekends because of her job.

Fred
Don't have 4 or 6 men available.  I do have a Kubota tractor with an 8 ft 6x6 attached to the bucket that I could wrap in a couple of moving blankets and try to move the living room end in.  No luck with anything so far.

Lee
When Eric asked that question we tried it and it sounded like a normal extention was going to happen.

Someone suggested Accurate RV and I tried to contact them, but too late in the day.  Will try them in the morning, be nice if they could help as they are only about 50 miles away.  Recieved a couple of other places to call and will try those also, looking for ideas. 

Thanks to everyone who is trying to help, be pretty lonely without you!
Paul & Wanda
CAT C9 400hp
37 ft

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 01:28:31 PM »
Paul
Sorry for the delay I just woke up its 8 here and Ontario Canada

The black knob on the right side of the first picture is the vent cap on the inside of the vent cap should be a hex that matches the end of the solenoid nuts if not you can use a quarter inch socket to turn each of the nuts on the end of the solenoids 4 and 1/2 turns maximum do not go beyond 4 and 1/2 turns which this will damage the solenoid valve.
Once you have both the valves open for the swag then you can try to wreck the room back into square but first a question there isn't a possibility that the driver seat is jamming the slide at the forward end is there.
If necessary use your manual rack under the slide to try to manoeuvre the slide 2 square position.you may have to work the slide out a little ways to get it to unjam the game look for something that has jammed the slide.

Another question has this slide been giving you any problem in the past IE does it not want to go in square or when it does go in does one corner touch first.
If you can manage to get the room square game I going to go straight back in then you may be able to close the solenoid valves a game and run the slide all the way out when it hits the oak position let it run against all bring it in about 6 in and then back out again stole several times this will try to equalize the synchronizing cylinder if it does equalize and synchronize properly you should then be able to bring the slide in normally but a game check to make sure there is not something catching or jamming the slide as this will cause synchronizing cylinder 2 move to one side and not work properly.
feel free to give me a phone call at area code 613-374-3194
Good luck
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2020, 01:31:50 PM »
Lee
An antique rocking valve is a mechanical valve tries to balance the cylinder pressures it actually allows one cylinder to move ahead of the other slightly when they get out of balance there is a bar that runs across between the two cylinders that touches the front of a pin in the auntie rocking valve when it pushes the pain it actually will a spool valve inside the belt that actually will change where the hydraulic fluid is sent to one cylinder the other to keep the cylinders moving evenly
 hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2020, 02:25:46 PM »
   Paul, I have attached the emergency procedure for releasing the pressure in the hydraulic system that pushes and retracts the slide out room. Here is what has to happen before you can retract the room:
  1-Release the pressure in the system ( follow the attached instructions)
  2- physically move the room at one end or the other until it is square in the opening (same measurement from the side wall at each end of the slide out.
  3- Push the room in to the closed position. (if the room is not too far out, you can drive to the nearest RV shop that works on HWH slide rooms.
  4- Before you drive, close the solenoid nuts you turned 4 1/2 turns counterclockwise in the procedure.
  5- Call me back if you are not clear on what to do. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6