Author Topic: main slide stuck halfway out and crooked  (Read 9201 times)

Paul Stark

• BAC Member
Re: main slide stuck halfway out and crooked
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 03:45:43 PM »
Fred
I already had the instructions, but thanks for the effort.

Eric
I can't find anything that might have caused the slide to go crooked (the driver's seat has been forward for several days as we moved the RV getting ready to head home).  I opened all 4 release valves as soon as I got some tools yesterday (also found the reservoir cap) and tried to move the kitchen end of the slide where there is a 3/4 in. bolt on the end of the shaft using a socket and a breaker bar and then a 1/2 impact wrench.  Won't turn either way.  I measured the difference in how far each end of the slide is out:  kitchen end is out 16 1/2 in. and the living room end it only out 8 in. 

As for past extensions, the slide seemed to be a little jerky, but I can't remember one side starting in first. 
Where would a rocking valve be located and how does that enter into fixing this? 
Also, in the outside electrical compartment there is a button that is labeled HWH reset, what does that do?

And finally, does anyone have ideas on how to get the slide straightened out? 
If I can get the slide in and locked I would like to head home (northwestern Montana) and find someone in the Spokane, WA to fix it.

By the way, it's 7:48 am here in AZ.

Paul & Wanda
2005 Monaco Patriot Ticonderoga
CAT C9 400hp
37 ft

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2020, 04:07:17 PM »
Paul
The button in the electrical bay should be white on the end it is a circuit breaker if it is griped it will pop out to reset it you simply push on the white end until it clicks into place .
There are two different systems one uses an antiracking valve and the other uses a syncronizing cylinder l am going to try to get some pictures out of the service manual for both types so you can identify which one you have.

If you have the valves open and the room is still not moving there must be something jamming the slide room mechanically
Check for something stuck in a roller or on top of the slide.

I would not use that tractor unless it was an extreme last resort !
I sent a pm with the sync cylinder equalizing procedure.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2020, 04:14:50 PM »
   Paul,
I am not sure if your coach has a syncronizing cylinder. A call to HWH or Beaver may answer that question. You may look above the fuel tank for a hydraulic cylinder with a shaft sticking out of each end. The syncronizing cylinder could have caused this situation.
  Your issue now is to disassemble the cross-shaft so you can move one end of the room without moving the other. The cross-shaft is the 1" square tubing the has a "spur gear" on each end that engages the "rack" tract on the bottom of each outrigger. (clearly visable in your pictures) Once the cross-shaft is disconnected, move the end that is "in" the most outward about 2". Next move the other end of the room " inward" about 2". Continue this process until the room is equal on each end. Now push the room in evenly. DONOT push on the edges of the room. If you are going to use a fork lift or some other device go real slow and evenly. Don't get discouraged, take your time. Blessings, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2020, 04:34:53 PM »
Paul

Fred is right the cross shaft has to be disabled to straighten the room just be careful as there may be a fair bit of torque from one side to the other when you disconnect the cross shaft this torque will be released.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2020, 05:26:07 PM »
I believe the HWH reset button, that looks like the attached picture, is to reset the HWH leveling system.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2020, 09:36:08 PM »
Paul
I couldn't get the pages up loaded here so I sent two complete PDF manuals to Steve Huber to load into the coach assist library
They will help give you an understanding of the synchronizing system and how to troubleshoot it.
But for now have you managed to get that slide back in.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Paul Stark

• BAC Member
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2020, 03:46:49 AM »
Everyone:

I have not gotten the slide in, but I did get an appointment to get it looked at and hopefully fixed.  Talked to RV Lifestyles here in Quartzite, AZ (about 7 miles) and will try to drive it there Monday morning around 6:30 am.  Will shut the release valves tomorrow morning so the coach is as ready to make the
trip as I can make it.  Through you guys, I've have learned a bit about slideouts and also how great BAC is.  I will try to meet all of you who attend the Quartzsite BAC rally next year to thank you in person.

I can't begin to thank you guys enough for your support, but I can wish each of you good health and safety in this crazy world!!
Paul & Wanda
CAT C9 400hp
37 ft
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2020, 03:22:14 PM »
Paul
Wish I was closer to help but it sounds like you have a plan.
Hope all works out with your slide
Keep in touch and let us know how it works out.

Best of luck and happy trails
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2020, 01:36:52 AM »
Paul, May I add my 2 cents. Since you can't find any obstruction which may have caused the slideout to go askew is it possible that the coach body is twisted in attempting to level on uneven terrain? I believe you owned a Monaco at one time and I've read somewhere that slideout instructions are opposite regarding operating the slideout when in either level or travel mode. There may also be a difference depending on your leveling system. My 40' Monterey with air only leveling nearly jammed once when attempting to retract the slide prior to travel mode.
Good luck and stay safe.

Bob Stone
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 05:28:04 PM by Bob Stone »
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2020, 01:06:37 AM »
Did this slide stuck cockeyed, half open and half closed, get resolved?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Paul Stark

• BAC Member
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2020, 01:32:52 AM »
Everyone:

RV  Lifestyles in Quartzsite, AZ was able to get the slide even and closed so we could get home to Montana.  I will see about getting it repaired when things open up.
Paul & Wanda
CAT C9 400hp
37 ft

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2020, 02:14:26 AM »
Good to hear thanks for the up date
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2020, 02:18:06 AM »
Whew!  I am glad you got the slide in and by now are probably home or at least on the way there.

A few years ago we had an incident with our street-side living room slide.  I always stand such that I can watch the slides from end-to-end as they are moving in and out.  This ONE time the back, upper corner of the slide got stuck as I was pulling in that slide.  The other three corners of the slide moved probably four or five inches before I got my finger off the button.  I immediately reversed the slide's direction and it went back out to full extension.  When I pushed the button to again pull in the slide, it worked fine.  That is the only time that has ever happened on any of the three slides on our coach.  The lesson I learned was to always carefully watch the slides as they move in or out, and be ready to quickly get off the button!

Good luck with your repairs... if indeed anything needs to be repaired.

Paul Stark

• BAC Member
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2020, 05:21:44 PM »
Don't know if I should open a new post for this, but it is a continuation of the problem.  We got home okay after RV Lifestyles in Quartzsite got the slide about 99% in and somehow locked there.  Now our house is at Appleway RV in Spokane Valley, WA and they are telling me they can't find the parts to fix the slide.  I already knew there were bent parts from talking to RV Lifestyles.  Anyway, does anyone have any idea as to where we might find the parts need or someone to craft the parts?

Paul & Wanda
CAT C9 400hp
37 ft

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2020, 06:00:18 PM »
If you know the damaged parts that need replacing, then you could try getting them from an RV salvage yard, call the slide-mechanics manufacturer such as HWH, or call the old standby, Beaver Coach Services (BCS) in Bend, OR.

The following users thanked this post: Paul Stark